News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Your House - Pictures

Started by Netdewt, March 16, 2010, 03:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netdewt

I haven't seen a house thread. Since you guys love old stuff, maybe there are some cool houses out there.

We got ours last spring. 1955 modified Cape Cod type thing, there are a million of them in my neighborhood. We bought from the original owner.

Dan/Panther

At Christmas it must look like a vintage post card.
I haven't owned an old house, but when I grew up in New York, The Erie canal was across my driveway, the house we lived in was a converted hotel for canal workers. Built in the 1850's.
Below is a photo of me at age 4 fishing in the Erie canal.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

D/P:

After meeting you at the phone show, I can tell you one thing: you haven't changed a bit.  ;D
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
ROFLMAO, I almost died when I read that.
D/P

Doug Rose

Home Sweet Home
Kidphone

JorgeAmely

Some Home Sweet Home you have Doug. Very elegant.
Jorge

Netdewt

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 16, 2010, 04:04:41 PM
At Christmas it must look like a vintage post card.

Like this?

bwanna

d/p..you were such an adorable little tyke.....what happened ;)
donna

Dan/Panther

Bwanna;
Gravity, and too many evil women ! :o
D/P

McHeath

Nice house Netdewt, I like Cape Cods, they have a nice simple line and are pleasing looking.  There are a few around here, central California, but not that many.  Kidphones farmhouse is also very nice, another pleasing style.  

Mostly in my town we have home styles by decade:

pre 1900: four squares, queen annes, shotguns, farmhouse.

1900 to 1920ish:  shotguns, bungalows, craftsmans.

1920 to 1940ish:  shotguns, bungalows, spanish revivals, cape cods, tudors.

1940 to 1975ish:  ranches, cape cods.

1975 to now:  ranches early on, then neo-eclectics.

What is built now is pretty much neo-somethingerother, spanish, med, tudor, daub and wattle, colonial, etc, and very embellished and ornate and sometimes they are trying to be all of the above at the same time.  Interiors can be quite nicely done, but at times we stand out front and can only utter that "good God that house is ugly!"

Neo-eclectics can be done nice, don't get me wrong, and we have some good examples that settled on a style and did it well.  (my mom has a nice neo-eclectic Spanish style that was built in the mid 90s)  However a fair number here try to throw in a greek portico next to the oversized farmhouse dormers over the single story garage with carriage style doors above the bungalow columns beside the daub and wattle front lower wall next to the river rock fireplace with exposed log ends with the French provincial roofline and round stone turret in the corner.  You end up wondering if the house was built over a period of about 2000 years on three different continents.

Hopefully it's just California exuberance.  

AET

What better way for me to show you all my home than though the Real Estate listing.  We built it almost 3 years ago now. 

http://tinyurl.com/capxoe8
  ( dead link 06-01-21 )

- Tom

JorgeAmely

Very nice Tom. You guys are selling it? Why?
Jorge

jsowers

The first picture is the house where I grew up, built in 1953 by the home builder my dad worked for. My mom still lives there. It's two houses up the road from me. It's a 1950s ranch and it used to have a picture window in the front, until mom replaced the windows.  The big pile of dirt is a garden bed mom planted that replaced the stump of a maple tree that got hit by lightning and an ice storm (see below). She's an avid gardener still at 80 years old.

The second picture is my house, built in 1985. It's not old, but I thought Tom would like seeing my 1990 Mercury Colony Park wagon parked beside it. I still have the car, though it's not in daily use. The picture is from the 2002 ice storm that was the worst one we've had in ages. The redtip bush/tree at the left is gone now, but the house still looks the same. It's sort of a colonial with dentil work trim and inset columns around the front door. My dad supervised its construction and I am forever grateful for that. I have a full basement to store all my junk. :)
Jonathan

Netdewt

Neo-eclectic is a.k.a. McMansion, yes?

Doug Rose

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 16, 2010, 06:46:14 PM
Some Home Sweet Home you have Doug. Very elegant.
thanks Jorge...I appreciate it.....Doug
Kidphone