News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found on eBay a rare ITT/Kellogg 5100 Desk Set

Started by MMikeJBenN27, January 01, 2022, 05:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMikeJBenN27

Look what I found on E-Bay!  A rare ITT/Kellogg 5100 Desk Set.  These use the handset, shell, and base plate of a 500, with the ringer, network with coils, and dial from a Redbar.  I had to replace the frequency ringer in it and lube the Automatic Electric style Kellogg dial, and replace that short line cord, so it now works perfectly.  Here is some info on it; Found it "window shopping" on E-Bay.  It cost $79.85, shipping was $14.00.  This was a great find for me because these are so rare.  The shell has a large crack in back of the cradle area, but until I find a shell with "Kellogg ITT" on it, this one stays.  I don't know much about links and stuff, but here are some pictures.

Michael J. Benardo
Vallejo, California

Pourme

~

I learn something every time i read this forum. I didn't know these existed. Was this their way of using up existing stock before changing to the new internals? Any idea how many were made?

Thanks for sharing, something else to be aware of while looking!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

LarryInMichigan

I don't believe that I have ever seen one of these before.  I currently have a North/Leich conversion on my desk, but I didn't know that there was a Kellogg version.

Larry

Doug Rose

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on January 01, 2022, 05:55:30 PM
Look what I found on E-Bay!  A rare ITT/Kellogg 5100 Desk Set.  These use the handset, shell, and base plate of a 500, with the ringer, network with coils, and dial from a Redbar.  I had to replace the frequency ringer in it and lube the Automatic Electric style Kellogg dial, and replace that short line cord, so it now works perfectly.  Here is some info on it; Found it "window shopping" on E-Bay.  It cost $79.85, shipping was $14.00.  This was a great find for me because these are so rare.  The shell has a large crack in back of the cradle area, but until I find a shell with "Kellogg ITT" on it, this one stays.  I don't know much about links and stuff, but here are some pictures.

Michael J. Benardo
Vallejo, California
could you post a link?...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Can you provide a photo of the base outside, showing any markings?

The dial is interesting in that it is rotated out of the usual AE/Kellogg/North position where the "0" would be at the bottom. Yet it is not like a WE 500 either.

Which transmitter and receiver units does it have? Seems that the units from a K1000 would be too large to fit.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MMikeJBenN27

I don't know how to do that.  Somebody here told me, but I didn't right it down and have forgotten how to do it.

Mike

MMikeJBenN27

These resulted from probably Red bars that have been turned in yet still worked.  This way, they had a modern looking phone but still used up working components.

Mike

paul-f

Congratulations on the find! It's a great and very interesting set. Roger Conklin confirmed they were made in Kellogg's Kansas City shop in relatively small numbers. Reported sightings are few and far between.

I've had a beige one in my collection for many years. Photos are on my site (since 2005 when the set was discussed on the TCI Email Group) and a link was posted here in 2010:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2455.msg33582#msg33582

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

paul-f

Quote from: poplar1 on January 02, 2022, 09:19:22 AM
Which transmitter and receiver units does it have? Seems that the units from a K1000 would be too large to fit.

The handset is a straight clone of a Western G3 -- made by Kellogg, with their markings on the T- and U-type elements.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

MMikeJBenN27

Here is a photo of the underside and a better photo of the topside.

Mike

MMikeJBenN27

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303955733663

?ssPag

I think this is a link.  At least that's what the instructions say to do.

Mike