News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Empire State Building construction - 1930-31

Started by TelePlay, April 16, 2022, 10:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Fascinating color video from 1930 showing the construction of the Empire State Building in New York City..

https://youtu.be/EdDECW5FLAM

Drift pins and hot rivets, one at a time. The 102 story adult Erector Set from foundation to completion. Took less than 2 years to construct.

Pourme

~

Can't  believe I watched the whole thing. Interesting, thanks for sharing. This was obviously prior to OSHA. Everyone wore a hat, no one wore a hard hat. No safety harnesses, or signage to tell them how accident free they have been. I read 'only' 5 people lost their lives during construction, in it's self is quite amazing!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

Amazing. If they tried to do something like that today it would take 20 years with all the safety measures.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

I like the scene at 14:40 where the guy is heating rivets in a hand cranked coal fired grill, tosses the red hot rivet to the catcher with the metal 5 gallon pail and the other guy picks it out of the pail with a metal tongs and inserts it into the beam joint hole where it is hand hammered tight - all done at height.

Depression era construction with workers coming from all over to get a job.

Yes, would have taken 20 years today. That anthill of men did it in 2 years or so - a work world not shaped by lawyers.

FABphones

Very interesting viewing although scenes like this (shown here at least 25 floors into the build) make me use the F/F 10 second option......
😱
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble