News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

U.S. DUKW Truck

Started by FABphones, June 05, 2022, 06:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Each year many commemoration events are held in remembrance of D-Day, France 1944.

Today, there was a 1942 'DUKW' amphibious truck on one of the landing beaches. As a French speaker I did a couple of small kindnesses for the watching crowd of tourists and the boat Helmsman. In return the Helmsman very kindly invited me onto the truck for a trip out to sea. I asked if I could gift the kind offer to my youngster (who was extremely keen to climb on board since spotting it), and the Helmsman/Driver said not necessary - we could all take to sea.

A rare opportunity to sit in one of the craft used on the beaches in 1944 and see the beach as the troops would have seen it on their approach.

—-

These are the DUKW photos I took. The first view from the beach of the truck at sea. The second onboard. Third image from link below.

D, 1942 production series
U, Utility
K, front wheel drive
W, tandem rear axles, both driven

DUKW, a 2.5-ton six-wheel amphibious truck used in World War II by the U.S. Army and Marine Corps. Its primary purpose was to ferry ammunition, supplies, and equipment from supply ships in transport areas offshore to supply dumps and fighting units at the beach...
...In the Normandy landings of 1944, DUKWs were used by the infantry, engineers, rangers, artillery, and service support units. By ferrying weapons, troops, ammunition, and supplies to the beaches, they played a vital role in the overall success of the landing, though a number of vehicles sank and many lives were lost because of the high seas and the overloading of vehicles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUKW

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

Pretty darn cool, and impressive.

You experienced a deadly day in history from a unique perspective, a day that seems to be not much more than an afterthought over here, to remember forever forward.

RDPipes

Certainly a day many brave men lost their lives for us and some before they even hit the beach.