and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Something cool (nixie tube counter)

Started by HowardPgh, November 09, 2022, 09:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowardPgh

Howard

Kellogg Kitt

I love Nixie tubes!  I might buy one of those devices.

Years ago, I was a Long Distance operator for AT&T.  The displays on our TSPS positions were made of Nixie tubes.  Yes, we called the display, "The Nixie"!  Normally, they remained dark unless there was some specific information that required the operator's attention.

Most calls could be handled without displaying, but the operator could push buttons to display information, as needed.  For example, there were buttons to display the back number (calling number) and the forward number (called-to number), screen codes for pay phones, etc.

I liked to display the back number on every call, not only to satisfy my own curiosity about where the call came from, but also for my own enjoyment of seeing the Nixie tubes light up.  I loved the flickering orange glow.  We were directed not to display unnecessarily, because it was a burden on the system, but I did it anyway!

Our system was run by a crossbar switch in the same building.  Of course, the door to it was locked, and we were not allowed in there, but close to the door, you could hear it, clicking and banging away.  Occasionally, the system would freeze up for several seconds, and we could not release the calls from our positions, so the customers would start their conversation while I was still on the line.  Then, suddenly, the call would disappear and another one would come in, as the system unfroze, and everything got back to normal.

That was in 1990, during last days of TSPS.  Our office was scheduled to close, as demand for Operator Services was continually declining, so it would never be cut over to the new system, OSPS, which replaced TSPS.
Wade