News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO (ATM) 314F Smashed Cradle Repair

Started by FABphones, September 19, 2022, 06:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This GPO 314F was unfortunately another victim of the 'unprotected handset on cradle' shipping technique.
 :(

The area to centre of cradle was smashed. The resulting two chunks of Bakelite were inside the body of phone, the outer areas of each were crumbs. The Spitcup similarly smashed.

Images below show the repair process. For this I did a Superglue repair. Not usually a method I follow but other members have had good results so decided to give it a try.

- Each part being worked on was cleaned.
- The two cradle pieces were glued back into place. Due to the finer breaks to edges there were small areas missing.
- Superglue was applied to help fill the fine gaps on show. Unfortunately this gave a slight colour mismatch.
- The repair was wet/dry sanded (image below) then fine sanded using Micromesh.
- The repair area inside the shell was reenforced using Milliput.
- Phone was reassembled and polished using Paste Polishing No5.
- The Spitcup was badly damaged and replaced with another original from the spares bin. This was polished as per the above.

Progress images attached, last image shows phone cradle area after completion. Hole repaired. Not quite perfect but a vast improvement.

Hope you like the result. Thanks to the reused pieces, a better colour match for this repair than a Milliput fill.
 :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

Nice job! Such a shame this happens - especially to a 314 as they are hard to get.

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on September 19, 2022, 06:35:01 AMThis GPO 314F was unfortunately another victim of the 'unprotected handset on cradle' shipping technique...
that is a fantastic job CJ.....I am afraid I would have chucked it.....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Thanks guys,
:)

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 19, 2022, 10:28:57 AM...I am afraid I would have chucked it.

I thought the same when I first opened the box, disappointing, have wanted one of these to sit alongside my Ivory version for some time.

Really wanted to get this phone out on display so decided to take the time putting it right. These phones seldom come along, just a shell even less so.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble