News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

what was the lowest you remember gas????

Started by Kenny C, March 07, 2010, 02:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: McHeath on August 17, 2012, 08:25:26 PM
I've got an old Ford F250 that holds nearly 50 gallons, it will most likely never have that much gas in it's tanks every again!

A full tank and it might be worth twice what it's value is when on "E".

Terry

Dennis Markham

As a youngster watching my father put gas in the family car, I remember seeing gas prices at about 27 cents a gallon.  When I was in high school I'd stop and get "a dollar's worth" .  That gave me 2.8 gallons, or about 35 cents a gallon.  (1973).

Just4Phones

When I first got my license it was .50 cents a gallon. (1977)   I remember this because I couldn't afford both gas and a car at the time so 4 of us would chip in .50 each and we were set for the night  ;D

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 18, 2012, 12:26:34 PM
or about 35 cents a gallon.  (1973).

Must have been just before "all H**L Broke Loose".... I was just reading about the oil embargo with reference to the size of North American cars and gas went from something like 36 cents to 58 cents almost overnight.

Terry

Dennis Markham

I also remember buying "white gas" right out of the pump during the 60's.  It was a special pump of course, similar to a special pump for Diesel fuel.  White gas was used in camp stoves and lanterns.  Now one has to buy that type of fuel in a can.  Maybe they don't even sell it anymore but probably do.....like Coleman stove fuel.

AE_Collector

Yes white gas is probably $14.99 a gallon or $6.99 a quart! I never recall it in a pump but I do recall a local gas station having it in a 45 gallon Imperial (55 gallon US) drum with the hand pump on it that they would fill your own container from.

Terry

McHeath

QuoteI've got an old Ford F250 that holds nearly 50 gallons, it will most likely never have that much gas in it's tanks every again!

A full tank and it might be worth twice what it's value is when on "E".

Terry

Ha!  You might be right!  Now that would make an interesting ad eh?

"For sale, old truck, $400 with full tanks of fuel or $200 with empty."

Nick in Manitou

Terry[/quote]
Ha!  You might be right!  Now that would make an interesting ad eh?
"For sale, old truck, $400 with full tanks of fuel or $200 with empty."
[/quote]

This comment reminded me of a story I heard from an aviation friend.  His father had purchased several surplus B-25 bombers after the war.  He flew them the short distance from the military airfield to his crop duster field - drained out the fuel which was worth more than he paid for the planes, then sold the aircraft to whoever wanted them.  Whatever he was paid for the aircraft themselves was all profit!

Nick

dencins

In 1968 I lived in Pawtucket, RI and worked in Hartford, Ct.  It was a 78 miles each way daily in a 1966 Olds 4-4-2 that got about 15 mpg if I coasted downhill.  Since it had a 20 gallon tank I filled up every other day at a place about halfway for $.19 per gallon.  I remember that I was upset spending $10 a week on gas.

Dennis Hallworth

DavePEI

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 18, 2012, 05:04:16 PM
I also remember buying "white gas" right out of the pump during the 60's.  It was a special pump of course, similar to a special pump for Diesel fuel.  White gas was used in camp stoves and lanterns.  Now one has to buy that type of fuel in a can.  Maybe they don't even sell it anymore but probably do.....like Coleman stove fuel.
In modern useage, White Gas is Naptha or camp stove fuel. However,  can also be a name for pure gasoline, without additives. This was commonly used when leaded gasoline was the norm, to prevent fouling in situations where the properties of the lead additive were not required. [See Wikopedia]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gas

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

JimH

57.9 at Speedway self-serve.  It was about 1977, I was 12 and we took a trip and kept track.  In those days, it was rare to pump your own gas.  My dad (born in 1925) said he remembers "Ten gallons for a dollar" back in the late 30s early 40s.

Jim
Jim H.

JorgeAmely

I remember 29 cents for a gallon in Puerto Rico when I was growing up. Back then, gas was reddish in color.
Jorge

DavePEI

Quote from: JorgeAmely on January 27, 2014, 11:14:47 PM
I remember 29 cents for a gallon in Puerto Rico when I was growing up. Back then, gas was reddish in color.
Around here, coloured gas [marked gas] (i.e. red) was reserved for only off road vehicles (farm and marine). There were hefty penalties under the Motor Fuel Tax Act if it were found in any automobile. Legal Automotive gas was always clear. Dye packets were thrown into the gas at the distributor if it was sold without the road tax.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Over here the only dyed fuel we have is Red Diesel, which is for use on agricultural vehicles, boats (such as Narrowboats), diesel generators, or cars that are declared as SORN (Statutory Off-Road Notification) that won't be used on roads (such as MOT failures, offroaders that just play in the mud, etc.), and many other non road-going vehicles, any regular road-going vehicle caught using red diesel on the road can be fined heavily, even if they used it once, the dye remains in the tank for a long time, so even if the driver thinks "Oh it'll just be this once, they won't get me for that when I refill with regular diesel", they'll get caught, the only way to get rid of the dye marker is a complete strip down and cleaning out of the entire fuel system, which would cost a pretty penny, ontop of the fine they received for using red diesel... ;D

I think there used to be other dyed fuels here for tax purposes, but they've long since disappeared since the various governments over the years have just thought "Sod it, tax the lot at the same rate", and there's often rumours of Red diesel going the same way, so people would have to pay full duty at the pump even if they're not using the stuff on the road... ::)

wds

During the gas wars, my brothers and I pumped 25ยข gas in our old 68 RS Camaro convertible, 69 camaro SS, Dodge Yellow super bee, bright orange Ford Cougar with the spoiler, 396 Chevelle, and many others.  Not only was the gas cheap, so were the cars.  My kid is getting his drivers license today  :(, and his memories are going to be $3.25 gas and a Honda accord.  Sad.
Dave