News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lampitis strikes - Super Aladdin (Model 14?) hanging lamp...

Started by twocvbloke, February 06, 2017, 12:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

And shined up as best I can do without machine polishing, but mostly pictures of it lit with the short mantle fitted... :)

19and41

It looks mighty good from here.  I wouldn't get rid of that shade too quickly.  I'll bet the person who made it did so to reflect the light downward when the lamp was hung up.  You may need the option one day. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Nah, it's too crude looking for me, well, for this lamp at least, I've been looking around for an appropriate shade, and while downstairs I looked at the standard lamps, both of which have shades from Ikea, and, with a little modification, one of those (well, without a pattern like the link below) would fit nicely, and even look like the Aladdin's original shade back when it was new, so I may need to pay Ikea a visit soon... :)

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/lighting/shades-bases/j%C3%A4ra-lamp-shade-white-art-50206211/

Probably should go soon, before I forget about it and they stop stocking them, they have a bad habit of doing that...

twocvbloke

Seems I spoke too soon, the lamp seems to have an annoying flicker to it, and I can't work out what's causing it, tried swapping parts from the 23 onto this one, but the ones that fit don't change the flicker... :-\

Think it could be the outer wick tube that's copped it, there's a number of stress cracks in it which could be introducing unwanted air into the thing, or I could be talking out my rear, I'm just not sure what's causing the problem... :(

19and41

Seems like a good guess, if the flicker is a momentary air/ fuel imbalance.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

I took the round bit with the holes in off (technical term there!) and tried the lamp without it, and the flicker is gone, so, either that split is doing something or, the tube part wasn't sitting properly over the non-removable wick tube, need to let it cool off again so I can re-fit the part and try it again to see if it is indeed that part causing issues...  :-\

twocvbloke

Round holey bit refitted, flicker has come back, so, I guess it's that at fault, or it's doing something else as there are also those cracks in the wick tube which may be getting opened up as the round bit presses down on it to seal it in place...

19and41

Remembering how the burner is assembled, It looks like the air within the mantle is to be limited by the cap inserted at the center of the wick, moving through the wicks' flame.  You may well have the problem found.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

The way the airflow seems to work is it gets a feed of air on the inside of the mantle (through the flame spreader), and then over the outside of the mantle (presumably to burn excess gases on the surface of the mantle to make it glow), and of course as the air is finely balanced, any interference in that flow would cause uneven burning, and probably the flickering...

Not too sure about this one, whether to find the replacement part, or to stick another burner on it (such as a 23 burner), but I'll think about it for now...

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

I've been looking on there for the past hour, the only reliable results are from the US, and the postage for the outer wick tube assembly is more than a complete burner from a UK seller, which is a shame, especially as there are spare wick tubes for sale, but they're only for 23 & compatible burners, and the Super Aladdin burner isn't compatible unfortunately...

19and41

I wonder why postage is so high in that direction.  I have a CD coming from over your way and the shipping was less than $4 on it.  There aren't any duties or something along that line attached are there?  It seems more expensive to have Items shipped from Canada than the UK.
— Arthur C. Clarke

andy1702

Give Mr Parafinalia a call. He's got lits of Aladdin bits and can probably post the part to you. It seems a shame to change the whole burner.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

Quote from: 19and41 on February 10, 2017, 06:59:03 PM
I wonder why postage is so high in that direction.  I have a CD coming from over your way and the shipping was less than $4 on it.  There aren't any duties or something along that line attached are there?  It seems more expensive to have Items shipped from Canada than the UK.

I think it's just down to the USPS over-charging for international shipping as though they don't want things to leave the country, used to buy a lot from the US, but when the postage outweighed the cost of the items, I started to be put off, and of late with the £-$ value plummeting thanks to greedy bankers blaming Brexit for the fall in value, it's just been ridiculously expensive for simple, small things, especially when I've had things from Poland and Estonia shipped here for less than the cheapest quote from the USPS, they've pretty much got their heads up their Clavin (Blame Cheers for that joke!!)... :-\

Quote from: andy1702 on February 11, 2017, 02:33:17 AM
Give Mr Parafinalia a call. He's got lits of Aladdin bits and can probably post the part to you. It seems a shame to change the whole burner.

I'm still on the fence with finding the part versus replacing the burner, heck, I could get another burner to use for parts, but it's six & two threes at the moment, also want to find it a Loxon chimney, just as I did my 23, as I'm not too keen on the heelless adaptor setup, I keep loosening it every time I place the upper assembly back onto the burner...

twocvbloke

Thought I'd show a comparison between the 23 and the Super Aladdin, not exactly the best setting for the two being atop my HP printer, but space is at a premium in here at the moment...