1961 single slot

Started by rdelius, October 12, 2010, 01:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

Handset is soft plastic
Robby

paul-f

Very nice!

Is the number card still present?  Any idea where it was installed?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

rdelius

Holmdel NJ
Possible at Bell Labs plant?
robby

KeithB

I don't think I've seen one in that style since I was a young child in the early 60s...

HarrySmith

Nice one, Robby ;D
Is this a new find? Have you had it for a while? Where did you get it?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

I bought it at Hillsville Va show several years ago from another telephone collector that did not know it was special. Unfortunately, he had sold the door off it and I had to modify a modern one to fit. All the ears on the old one were the same size. Modern doors have one large ear on the lock side of the door. This seems to be 2 different pay stations put together. The locks are 3 slot type but it does require a t handle also. When I find my keys i will send a photo of the inside.
Robby

Jester

That looks like a dark gray handset & cord, but it appears different from the armored gray handsets used on the later single slots.
Stephen

Jim Stettler

Robby,
That is a very cool single slot. It would make a great Birthday phone for me. My birthday is 9/13/61

Not only that but I have it's younger sibling.

Let me know if you ever want to trade out of that phone. They would look nice side by side in my phone room.
Jim

This is a 5/82 Western Electric 3A Field Trial set. It can recognize a $1 coin but the slot is too small. This was the last model of the Bell System payphones
I will do a thread about this phone later
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Adam

Wow.  A payphone collection.  And I thought I had trouble finding room for my sets!  ;D
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Jim Stettler

Quote from: masstel on October 13, 2010, 12:41:01 AM
Wow.  A payphone collection.  And I thought I had trouble finding room for my sets!  ;D

If you read some of my previous posts about my payphones, you will realize that I don't collect them.
I just happen to have over a dozen that I can't justify getting rid of  ???
I need the 3-slots to justify the coin line simulator and the SS to justify the phone booths and boothettes.

I need this phone because it would be a GREAT Birthday phone.  But, I really don't collect payphones.
Jim

Jim
You live, You learn,

Adam

You may not collect them, but together they form a collection of payphones, nonetheless.   :D

I would *love* to have a Western Electric rotary single-slot, that reminds me of the payphone that was in the lobby of my high school...
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Jim Stettler

That one is in the Boothette. I would really like a green rotary, That was the most common ss around here

The TT one is in the Stainless Steel Superman style phone booth. It is factory Green and painted black.
It would probably strip off relativly easily.
I would also like to get a rotary and a TT  3 slot panel phone.

Jim

Can you imagine how many I would end up with if I collected them?

You live, You learn,

Dave F

That 1961 single slot is pretty cool.  I've never seen one of those before.  Here is my favorite payphone (WE 1234G) and the booth where it will ultimately be installed.  Sorry about that Mickey Mouse white handset -- Changing it to a beige G3 hasn't yet reached the top of the priority list.  Phone booth currently has an old beige AE 3-slot.

HarrySmith

Both very nice pieces. I like the wood finish on the vault door ;)

or is that a reflection ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dave F

For what that phone cost me, that door had better be chrome!