News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 193G Three-Slot Payphone for $30 on Craig's List

Started by LarryInMichigan, September 13, 2011, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I am not generally interested in payphones, but this appeared today, it looks like a good deal, and it's only 6-7 miles away: http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/atq/2596410110.html  ( dead link 03-04-21 )
I told the seller that I would come to look at it tomorrow morning.  Any thoughts?

Larry

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

Offer him $20.00.
But take it for $30.00, you could get more than that for the parts that are visible!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

LarryInMichigan

Well, I bought the phone this morning.  It's a bit rough with plenty of scratches and some rust.  It is attached to a steel corner mounting bracket.  I have no idea how to open it because the cover is held by a lock.  The G1 handset is dated 10-54.  The elements are newer.  The rubber handset cord is somewhat worn and brittle.  The dial sounds like a #5.  I will probably want to sell it.

Larry

rdelius

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: rdelius on September 14, 2011, 12:55:33 PM
A 10G key should open the lock
Robby

Thank you.  I see that OPW has 10G keys for $20.  Does anyone know where they can be found for less?

Larry

paul-f

Nice!

If you're going to find a key, may as well look for a vault door, too.

Is the backboard marked?  If you can get them apart you may get more by selling them separately.

LarryInMichigan

The phone was screwed into a corner mounting bracket.  The screws were not tight, so I was able to unscrew them from behind and separate the bracket from the phone.  I definitely want to sell the bracket.  Even if I decide to keep the phone, I would have no use for the bracket, and I would hope that it's worth something.  It would be useful to someone wanting to mount a phone in the corner of a phone booth.

The bracket is marked "167A".

Larry

paul-f

Put the bracket on ebay.  I believe you'll find it pays for the phone, gas and several good meals to celebrate your find!

Greg G.

Seems that nearly every time I log on to this site, I learn something new.  Now I'm kicking myself for passing up similar payphones at similar prices I've come across on CL locally only because I have no interest in them as a collector.  Never occurred to me to "flip" it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: paul-f on September 14, 2011, 01:53:23 PM
Put the bracket on ebay.  I believe you'll find it pays for the phone, gas and several good meals to celebrate your find!

I see that Phoneco lists the bracket for $65, so I might have to order tuna salad.

Larry

paul-f

Phoneco lists A bracket for $65.

I hope you do better.

While you're preparing the phone for sale, you might consider a F handset...

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?searchword=193g&ordering=newest&searchphrase=all&limit=20&option=com_search

LarryInMichigan

QuoteWhile you're preparing the phone for sale, you might consider a F handset...

I had thought of that, but a G handset fits much better in the cradle than an F1.  Were these made with different cradles for different handsets?

Larry

Doug Rose

Quote from: Brinybay on September 14, 2011, 02:41:54 PM
Seems that nearly every time I log on to this site, I learn something new.  Now I'm kicking myself for passing up similar payphones at similar prices I've come across on CL locally only because I have no interest in them as a collector.  Never occurred to me to "flip" it.
A long time ago when I was first starting out collecting telephones (yes... Lincoln was President!), I met a guy selling phones at a flea market, this was looooooooooooooooong before eBay. He told me when you get serious about collecting, you will buy phones to sell and keep what you want. I thought he was nuts, I easily has 50 black 302s (this was before I knew a bout dates and value, all phones created equal...etc). I learned a valuable lesson, maybe a little late; but all phones I purchase are not for me. I only keep the best and the others pay for what I keep! Simple math, but it's a collection paid for by collecting. Yes.....its a whole lotta work, but who said it would be easy! I don't think I ever slept in on a weekend in over 30 years....ever!!! Just my .02..... It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun....BUT lucrative as well. Decide what you are going to collect, because you can't collect them all. Yeah I know..................., but I do specialize......really....... color 302's and back....Doug
Kidphone