News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Communication Museum for sale??

Started by HarrySmith, October 09, 2014, 09:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

There appears to be someone selling a Communications Museum. It is the Capehart Communication Museum in Corsicana Texas. Apparently the owner has health issues. There is tons and tons of stuff. What appears to be hundreds of switchboards and several central offices! Lots of phones and other WE stuff. Signs and a HUGE library. They posted on Facebook in the TCI group. Here is the phone numbers 903.872.0440 or 903.875.8667. Here is their facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/CapehartCommunicationCollection. The website is capehartmuseum.com. Here is the Google photo album with 168 pictures:
https://plus.google.com/photos/101420790899348395030/albums/6062652617216980049.
I hope someone near them can get together and figure out how to save all this stuff! I can forsee most of it going as scrap! I saved one picture attached below.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenton K

Its always sad to see collections get lost. Others don't see the value. \

KK

TelePlay

All photos in one for posterity.

Fabius

When I lived in Fairfield Texas working for CONTEL in the late 1980s I visited this place. I was amazed at the size of the place. Has anything been published about it's sale? I assume he'll try to sell the whole thing for one price?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Phonesrfun

Looks like it is large.  I can't tell byt the pictures how large it is compared to the Seattle museum, but Seattle is huge.  The Seattle museum is like visiting the Pearly Gates (without having to really go, if you know what I mean!)
-Bill G

HarrySmith

Other than the posts I referred to there has been no other info offered. He states "in whole or in part" It would take some very deep pockets to buy it all I think, plus he lives in part of the building. He was on an episode of "American Pickers" where they toured the place and bought some signage. I believe it is important to the hobby that this collection be saved! There is not a lot of people with the funds or space to buy an entire CO. I do not know if he is asking realistic prices or if he intends to finance his medical bills and retirement with the sale.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Fabius

If he bought in an auction company and they auctioned it off piece by piece it would take a few days but it would be a hell of an auction.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Weco355aman

I wished this would have come along a long time ago.
I'm to old to start another large project. I tried to buy items from him  in the 80's and he wanted a lot of $.
The phones will be saved, but the switching and switchboards will end up as scrap.
Phil