News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Xlink My experince after some months of using it.

Started by dsk, September 07, 2010, 04:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

I have had Nokia, Motorola, and now Huawei.  No problem withthe BT-connection but not to great range. 
dsk

AL_as_needed

I had issues with my xlink needing frequent resets as well with my ios. After a firmware update and enabling the ios patch in the xlink user software on my pc it has been rock solid. For range i find keeping it as centered as possible in a chosen room to be ideal (i hide mine under the couch).   
TWinbrook7

markosjal

Quote from: AL_as_needed on December 24, 2016, 11:31:13 AM
...(i hide mine under the couch).   

You must love that microwave radiation to the bum
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

AL_as_needed

Quote from: markosjal on December 25, 2016, 12:56:58 AM
You must love that microwave radiation to the bum

Well the alternative is having kids, so for now ill take it  ;D
TWinbrook7

mentalstampede

Has anyone tried connecting an xlink too the CO connector on a Panasonic 308 or 616 system?
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

kdpezz

Is there a way to keep your landline telephone number with xlink?

poplar1

Quote from: kdpezz on April 14, 2017, 07:34:31 PM
Is there a way to keep your landline telephone number with xlink?

Xlink is a bluetooth device that allows you to use up to 3 cell phone lines (BT model), or up to 3 cell phone lines + a landline, cable modem line, or VOIP line (BTTN model).

So, if you have a landline, you would need the BTTN device but would still get a phone bill from the phone company. If you are trying to get rid of the $50 per month landline, then you can have that phone number "ported" (transferred) to another company such as MagicJack ($3 per month) -- but that requires an internet connection -- or to a cell phone company or cable TV company.

In other words, you will still need some kind of provider for your telephone service. You can't just have your phone number ported to the Xlink.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

kdpezz

Saving money would be great but want to make sure it all works first before unmake all these changes...probablyba crazy question but will it ring through in my home phone line with it going through a Bluetooth device with my landline number?  I wonder if callforwarding to the cell phone would work (I would get a cell phone only for home)

Stan S

Hello
Without confusing the issue with lots of information that doesn't really answer your question, the answer is YES.

Take a look at this Ebay auction.
https://tinyurl.com/l2e7ptd

The beginning of the video at the end of the auction demonstrates exactly what you want to do. The VOIP carrier is Vonage. The beginning of the auction has only the rotary payphone and the Xlink connected to Vonage.
The rest of the video is the Xlink connected via bluetooth to a cell phone with the Vonage landline disconnected.

You will probably have to remove the Rototone device that's in the phone.
Assuming the Rototone does work in certain situations you might just consider selling the phone on Ebay to recoup your investment and buying another wall phone that is unmolested.
Stan S.

kdpezz

You think the rotatone is going to mess things up?  That was the worst thing I ever did was have that installed

Stan S

The Rototone probably will cause problems.

I'd try the phone in different places with different service providers. Maybe find someone that has a POTS line and see if the phone works. If it does I'd sell it on Ebay and start from scratch.

The Xlink acts as a super fast pulse to tone converter. If you have a cellphone the wireless Bluetooth stuff is icing on the cake.
Amazon Prime is selling the Xlink BTTN (the one you need) for $72.

Over the past few years I used close to a dozen of them with no problems.

Stan S.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: mentalstampede on February 15, 2017, 02:22:10 AM
Has anyone tried connecting an xlink too the CO connector on a Panasonic 308 or 616 system?

Several member here have. While I do not have such a set-up (yet), many do.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11113.msg126861#msg126861
TWinbrook7

dsk

Now my old X-link is to old to talk with Today's pc software, on the other hand; it is working OK with the last setup, i gave it 2 yrs. ago.  It is actually working so well That i have bought a New one for using at for show at Job or holidays etc.

dsk

Jack Ryan

Quote from: dsk on August 18, 2019, 01:16:06 AM
Now my old Xlink is to old to talk with Today's pc software, on the other hand; it is working OK with the last setup, i gave it 2 yrs. ago.  It is actually working so well Thai i have bought a New one for using at for show at Job or holidays etc.

dsk

I had that trouble. I found an old PC (XP I think it was) and upgraded the XLink firmware. I can't remember if it was then OK with later versions of Windows but I think it was.

Jack

dsk

Quote from: Jack Ryan on August 18, 2019, 01:57:40 AM
I had that trouble. I found an old PC (XP I think it was) and upgraded the XLink firmware. I can't remember if it was then OK with later versions of Windows but I think it was.

Jack

Thank you I found an old PC, and did that, the last version software made it possible to upgrade to 64 bit too, and now it works on modern pc too.  (pretty slow to connect, but then...)

Now my Siemens 1911 ore on net again :-)  dsk