News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric Desk Phone eBay auction - Any Good?

Started by Dewdrop, January 18, 2010, 10:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewdrop

An eBay auction (290391284727) recently ended. Would the phone have been worth at least $9.75 plus $10.99 shipping? Was it not the right make or was it the condition? Could a newbie such as me been able to get it to work or would it have been way over my head?

Would like your input.

Thanks
Debbie
Debbie

LarryInMichigan

It looks to me that it was worth $9.75 to anyone who isn't afraid of a serious cleaning job.  At the very minimum, the dial is worth much more than that.  I am very surprised that it didn't sell.

Larry

Jester

That's difficult to say.  It appears to all be there, but it has a crack in one corner, it's covered in paint, & you might find a better example for the same price with some patience.  Everything I pointed out can be overcome--if you're the right person.  This forum could definitely help you get there(D/P is the one to ask on this), but only you can answer the question " Do I REALLY want to do this?".
Stephen

Dewdrop

So the paint would have to be removed? If that is the case NO I would not want to do this....

Debbie
Debbie

Jester

Let me back up on that statement, Debbie.  I would remove the paint, but it wouldn't have to be done.  I saw some spots of wear that looked to me like it either needs to come off or repainted, but it might be that a good cleaning is all it really needs.  If you like the color & it only needs a spit & polish, then it is a good buy.
Stephen

bingster

I think it's a fine buy, Debbie.  And the paint may be original.  We've seen a number of these painted 302s from Northern Electric.   I think Dan/Panther may have one, if I'm remembering correctly.
= DARRIN =

Dewdrop

The auction ended with no bids. I consider bidding, but backed off. Did a phone like this come painted from the factory?

Debbie
Debbie

jsowers

There was a company in NYC in the 1970s that sold painted 302s and 202s through mail order. I have a couple of their catalogs, but can't find one at the moment. The name Grand Com sticks in my mind, though it may be something else. If you find a painted 202 or 302 desk set, or 354 wall set with color matching plastic cords and a painted fingerwheel, it could be one from that company. They advertised in the back of Better Homes and Gardens and other magazines. I've seen many of those phones over the years and own a couple of them. They came painted in all the usual colors that 500 sets came in and their paint jobs were not bad at all.

Usually a factory ivory 302 isn't painted and has a clear fingerwheel and clear switchhook buttons. They had ivory cloth covered cords. But I suppose a few may have been painted.
Jonathan

bingster

Quote from: jsowers on January 19, 2010, 09:55:36 AM
There was a company in NYC in the 1970s that sold painted 302s and 202s through mail order. I have a couple of their catalogs, but can't find one at the moment. The name Grand Com sticks in my mind, though it may be something else. If you find a painted 202 or 302 desk set, or 354 wall set with color matching plastic cords and a painted fingerwheel, it could be one from that company.

I wonder if that's who's responsible for the aqua 202 that's been up for a couple weeks now.  They want an arm and a leg for it, and are insisting it's an "original factory" job.
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Debbie....question is, why would you want it. The case is cracked making it worthless. The plungers are stuck down and the paint job has seen better days. $20 for "maybe" a working dial. Painted handsets are like painted windows in a house, a pain to open. If the case had been metal, yes it would be worth it. You were smart, in my humble opinion, to pass it by; as I did. I think you would just be out $20....good luck...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Doug,

I think that it would be worth $20 for the parts.  The dial alone, if it works, is worth well over $20, and the base would be usable as a subset for a 202 or similar.  The receiver and transmitter capsules might also be useful.  A cracked shell and/or bad paint job would make the decision to use it for parts much easier to make since none of us really want to dismantle a perfectly good phone for its parts.  An ugly, cracked phone is different.

Larry

Dewdrop

Thanks all. I'm glad I PASSED. I'll keep looking and saving for a 302 other than a black one (already have one those).

Debbie
Debbie