News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anyone into old lanterns? (The Sequel Part 5, Epilogue I)

Started by TelePlay, August 21, 2016, 05:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Since I declared my Part 4 Epic Top Lift my last lantern ever, but having a mild to severe case of Lanternitis, I could not pass up a 1921 Dietz Blizzard I found in an antique store I found for the first time. They had several lanterns in a variety of conditions but this Blizzard, rattle can spray painted with flat aluminum, was solid, complete and cheap ($22).

It was in better condition under the paint than I would have ever expected. I don't know why the last owner painted it. I guess he thought a uniform "like new" gray was more appealing than the dark tin patina that developed on this lantern over the years prior to painting. It would have sold for over $50 without the paint. The paint came off in one application of Citristrip and the small amount of corrosion came off in one 3 day soak in molasses. All it needed was a new burner and a bit of pounding out the dents in the top cap.

It came with a perfect original clear glass globe but to spread out the cost of shipping, included an amber globe just for fun. This is the first lantern I've tackled where the replacement parts got here after the lantern was finished. As shown in the after photos, the lantern is sound and tight and probably how it felt and worked when first purchased at a dry goods store back in 1921.

This is my second Blizzard, the first being the frosted red globe lantern that had a much tougher active life. And, by the way, this is my last lantern, really.

TelePlay

Quickly taken hand held pictures in low light never come out as well as I would like them two but after lighting it up, thought I'd take a half dozen and these two are good examples of this lantern lit. Not happy with either but they get the job done.

To the left of the amber globe lit lantern is the green globe Blizzard which is newer than this one (note the square air tubes as they enter the fuel font on the amber globe lanten). To the left of the green globe is the brass and tin top lift Dietz No. 2  (the Epic Lantern) and to the far right is a slightly newer Dietz No. 2 with the bottom globe lift. It also has the square bend in the air tubes at the fuel font. Dietz went to a bent tube design for the No. 2 (as seen on the green globe lantern) a few years later, of which I have 4 or 5.

Wife said no more lanterns but every time I bring a stray dog home and show her the lantern after restoring it, I get a very nice from her. So, maybe another lantern, some day?

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice restoration, John! It looks less like something from Pier One Imports and now has true patina!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dennis Markham

Nice, John.  A very nice warm glow from the lantern.  I think there's probably room on the shelf for another. :)

~Dennis

TelePlay

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 21, 2016, 09:36:38 PM
Nice, John.  A very nice warm glow from the lantern.  I think there's probably room on the shelf for another.

Thanks, Dennis.

That shelf is for the special, older lanterns, all of which can be lit. This lantern may have had some surface corrosion which had the prior owner painting rather than cleaning the lantern. The bottom, once the paint was removed shows half tin and half patina, as does the side of the fuel font just to the left of the filler - the lighter mottle which is tin without patina. That's usually what happens with corrosion, it prevents the patina from developing.

I forgot to mention that this lantern was made on March 1, 1921 so it is a nice, round 95 years old.

19and41

Never say never again (At least with something you can do so well).
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on August 22, 2016, 07:50:34 AM
I forgot to mention that this lantern was made on March 1, 1921 so it is a nice, round 95 years old.

Ooops! Got than wrong. The lantern code is M-1-1921. The "M" stands for the Dietz "Main" factory, or factory #1, which was located in New York City. So, this lantern was made in New York City in January of 1921, about 10 years before that factory closed. This, I believe, is my first lantern made in New York City, at least, the first one so stamped.

My last lantern, the top lift Dietz No. 2 with the brass fuel font and chimney, does not have an "S" or "M" for Syracuse or New York, it only has the full month, date and year stamped in the air tube. That was July 22, 1913. Dietz went to the Factory-Month-Year format in 1915 through 1956 (they stopped stamping air tubes after their manufacturing facilities were moved to Hong Kong in 1956).