News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg-Carlson 1212ADH

Started by Ed Morris, August 04, 2017, 03:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Morris

I received the 65-C ringer, and while it works well, I am a little disappointed.  I was hoping for the nice chime I get with the 59-H.  I switched gongs, and they sound nice, but when it rings, it sounds more like a high speed telegraph sounder.  The clacking of the clapper armature drowns out the chime.

I've tried different adjustments, but it just gets worse.  On the plus side, dialing doesn't cause any tinkling of the ringer.
Ed

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Ed Morris on August 10, 2017, 05:21:34 PM
I received the 65-C ringer, and while it works well, I am a little disappointed.  I was hoping for the nice chime I get with the 59-H.  I switched gongs, and they sound nice, but when it rings, it sounds more like a high speed telegraph sounder.  The clacking of the clapper armature drowns out the chime.

I've tried different adjustments, but it just gets worse.  On the plus side, dialing doesn't cause any tinkling of the ringer.
From your description it sounds like the clapper is not striking the gongs.  Are the original gongs and the ones you put in their place the same diameter in the plane where the clapper moves?

Ed Morris

The clapper is striking the gongs and the gongs are the same size as the originals.  And I had the same issue before I swapped the gongs.  It's just that the action of the armature is very loud against the pole pieces.

Here's a side by side photo.  The 65-C SL ringer is on the left, the 59-H 66.6Hz ringer on the right.

Ed

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Ed Morris on August 10, 2017, 05:48:13 PM
The clapper is striking the gongs and the gongs are the same size as the originals.  And I had the same issue before I swapped the gongs.  It's just that the action of the armature is very loud against the pole pieces.

Here's a side by side photo.  The 65-C SL ringer is on the left, the 59-H 66.6Hz ringer on the right.
Usually there is a good compromise involving the spacing of the gongs.  If the gongs are close the armature will never strike the pole pieces because the clapper will be stopped by the gong before the armature reaches its end of travel. 

If the gongs are too far apart the armature will be stopped by the pole piece before the clapper strikes the gong.  If the gong is not too far away the clapper rod will flex due to the inertia and mass of the clapper and the clapper will strike the gong when operating by ringing current even though when operated by hand it stops with a clearance between the clapper and the gong.

With identical sized gong I'd think it would be possible to find a suitable adjustment, but usually it's not critical.  Some ringers have an adjustment to change the distance between the plane of the pole pieces and the plane of the armature pivot to be able to adjust the travel but I don't think most modern ringers have this.

Ed Morris

I'm going to give Fatboy a trial as my new desk phone.  It joins an eclectic mix of new and old technologies.

Ed

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Ed Morris on August 12, 2017, 10:47:39 PM
I'm going to give Fatboy a trial as my new desk phone.  It joins an eclectic mix of new and old technologies.
Looks great!  Kind of like a 202 on steroids...   ;D

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on August 12, 2017, 11:26:51 PM
Looks great!  Kind of like a 202 on steroids...   ;D
...or a tripe-thick milkshake diet! :o
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Pourme

That phone looks too good....It has given me the Fatboy bug!.....It will wind up costing me some $$ when I find the right one....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service