News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help Identifying Receiver

Started by tekuhn, October 04, 2016, 03:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tekuhn

Hi again. I thought I'd ask again for help identifying the parts that were attached to the 20AL I recently purchased. The receiver has a cap that looks almost too perfect, so I suspect it might be a reproduction. The body is still very nice, but does seem to be Bakelite, so maybe it's real (although still not the correct part). Any help in identifying these as repro or authentic would be appreciated. The cap is marked Western Electric 143W and the body is a Leich Electric.

poplar1

Ron Knappen (phoneco, Galesville, WI) has been selling new old stock (but original) Leich receiver shells with repro WE 143 caps.

http://phonecoinc.com/topic.asp?map=1&horh=home&gorl=list&group=main&category=Wwp&topic=01023
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tekuhn

Interesting - that's probably exactly what I have here, but the spacing of the letters on the 143W cap are definitely different from what I have.

tekuhn

I have another receiver shell, and this one has no markings at all. Can anyone identify this and also, what type element it would use? It looks like it uses some kind of drop-in element with contacts rather than direct attaching a cord. I suspect the silver contacts are possibly bent and will need repositioning. Also noticed the cap is scalloped so that the sound can still get out if placed flat on a tabletop (to support the offhook screaming tones?). Thanks in advance!

unbeldi

That looks like a Western Electric 706-type receiver.
The shell and cap should be Bakelite, and the element that would go into it is either an HA1, HA2, or HA4 to make a 706A, 706B, or 706C receiver.

Here is a drawing from the 1950 WECo catalog:

tekuhn

Thank you so much! That diagram is just what I needed - it even shows the proper profile for those contacts that need tweaking. I had an HA1 in an F1 handset, and sure enough, it fits perfectly.