News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first 302

Started by old_stuff_hound, August 04, 2011, 07:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_stuff_hound

I always wanted one, and you people are enablers. ;-)

Got this one off ebay. It was a little grubby but it cleaned up nice. Just needs a new tangle cord now. I worked fine when I got it except it didn't ring. Inside I found one of the ringer wires disconnected and taped. Hooked that up and now it rings too! Dates don't match (& it has a much more recent 6A dial), but I don't really care that much about that....

old_stuff_hound

A few more pics

RotaryRose

Hi Member: old-stuff-hound,

What a lovely 'Diamond in the Rough' . . .Congratulations !  I'm sure you'll have fun bringing her back to her Beautiful self in no time : )

If you do intend to restore your #302 . . .Member: Dencins (Dennis) recovers the leather feet and re-plates the Bells on Phones (ringer/gong) . . .thought you may want to know.

Good Luck !
Keep Smiling . . . .Keep Dialing : )

kind regards
Julie-Anne

old_stuff_hound

Thanks for the kind words! I'll probably leave the internals as is (but for servicing the dial, etc), but I'm already talking to Dennis about nickel-plating some non-phone stuff. May throw in the finger stop as well.

I've made a few calls with it (called my voice mail at work) and I've noticed two things: 1. When talking on it, there's less sidetone than I'm used to (cf. WE500, etc), and 2. On the recieving end of the call, there's a noticeable amount of noise -- sounds like I'm standing next to an air conditioner unit when I'm talking on it (but I don't hear it on the 302 end). Is this to be expected with a 302? I've no experience with them....

Cheers!

Kenny C

The noise may have something to do with that frayed cord. I would suggest replacing it

Beautiful phone. By far my favorite model.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

The cord, as it appears in the picture, should definitely get some attention.  Having a break in the outer rubber like that is asking for static and possibly losing connection.  If the rubber insulation is not too brittle, you might be able to cut off the broken part, attach new spades and reattach the cord restraint.  There have been a number of discussions here over the years about methods for recoiling the cord.

Larry

old_stuff_hound

Thanks! As I understand it, this phone should have come with a coiled cord (but maybe not this particular one), but rather than try to repair this one, I just ordered a cloth straight cord. I just think it looks better. I won't toss this coiled cord, but I don't think I'll be reusing it. Even the non-cracked portions are kind of crispy. I was just reading on another thread that there should be a date on the restraint on this cord. When I have it apart to replace the cord, I'll have a look to see if this one is original. I *hope* the new cord will help with the noise!

The noise I have is not really static (at least not crackly static), but more like constant white noise.... Volume is a little low as well. I've already whacked the transmitter on the desk a few times to break up the carbon -- maybe it needs a few more hits?

Cheers!

Doug Rose

I agree with the others, a new cord should get rid of any noise you are hearing. With the new cord, the quality should be more than acceptable. 302s with an F1 have good sound quality.  Nice phone and a nice job refurbing it. Welcome to the Forum....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Wow, that polished up really nice!  Those are my favorite kind of finds - dirty, neglected, but otherwise intact and functioning.  What did you use to polish it?

Personally, I prefer the straight handset cords on older phones.  OPW has them, I think this is the correct one, or somebody on the forum may have one.  

Western Electric straight handset cord.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

old_stuff_hound

Thanks! I did polish up nice. I first washed it with dish soap to clean it as much as possible, then worked it over with Meguiar's auto cleaner, polish, then wax. I've used it before on ABS:
but this was the first time on soft plastic. It worked well! I'd be nice if the Bakelite would polish up a little better, but as I understand once the topcoat is gone options are limited. I'd be happy to be corrected! ;-)

I'm hoping the new cord will fix the noise.  I'll post back and let you know once it arrives and I get it installed.

JorgeAmely

Hats off to you sir for the excellent recovery.  :o
Jorge

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: JorgeAmely on August 05, 2011, 11:28:00 PM
Hats off to you sir for the excellent recovery.  :o

Thanks!!!

The replacement cord is not here yet, but just for fun I swapped transmitters out between the 302 and the not-yet-working Galion (I started another thread on that one). I hear much more sidetone with the ex-Galion transmitter than the 302 one. That's a good thing -- there was very, very little before. I've placed two calls to myself at work (one with each xmitter) and tomorrow I'll have a listen. But I'm hopeful.

I've done the beat-on-the-desk boogie with the ex-302 xmitter but it didn't really seem to help. Is there a preferred technique for this (hit on edge, hit flat (obviously it'd have to be the contact side), hit hard, hit gently....

Are there different transmitters or is any transmitter of the same physical dimensions the same -- electrically -- as any other?

(Incidentally, the ex-302 xmitter is a '45 model, the ex-Galion one, '47. The 302 is largely '47 as well, so that's where that one stays. The Galion's a bit more of a hodge-podge so it doesn't matter as much.)

Cheers!