"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 302 gets no dial tone, and just pops in rec at hook up/down

Started by RB, March 11, 2019, 09:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

OK, my turn.
I just ...uh...finished my first year 302...
cant get dial tone, and loud pop in rec when it goes on/off hook.
I put a new 2 wire line cord, and a new 3 wire coil handset cord on it,
Plus, I overhauled the Dial, and put it all back together tonite.
Wuz hopin to call my bro to nite, but she is not singin to me yet.
I compared the rewiring to this page.
Also, looked at a couple other pics of 302's.
Oh yeah, I got the red wire from the gnd wire and yel line wire, and moved it to L1
Thats where it is at.

Babybearjs

best thing to do is download the schematic from the TCI Library and compare your work. these are extremely easy phones to wire... so check the schematic.
John

jsowers

How about some pictures of the base, showing the wiring?

Do you have another working 302? You can swap parts. Start with the transmitter and make sure the transmitter and receiver make good contact with the handset contacts. You can also compare the wiring with a working phone, if that's easier than reading the schematic.
Jonathan

RB

I don't have much trouble reading schematics, have a few copies.
No extras to compare to. This is a first year 302, I only need one. :)
Things look ok, all but the bell wiring.
I changed that. but don't know if that is correct now?
The pop in the rec worries me, just can't remember what the cause is.

jsowers

I can't think of much else to check, so maybe someone else better versed in 302s can help you? I can't make out anything much in the dial pics because the letters next to the screws aren't visible.

You need to check the continuity of all the wires in your handset cord. You have two white wires, so make sure the white wire you used is the one that's connected inside the handset.

Make sure the capsules in your handset are making a connection with the spring contacts inside the handset. Sometimes they can be bent down or crooked and not making contact.

Good luck!
Jonathan

poplar1

If this is a 6A dial, then the terminals in photo #024 left to right are as follows:

Y-R-BK-BB-W

Y has the brown-yellow conductor from the hookswitch
R has the slate-red jumper from L1
BK has the black handset wire + the black condenser wire
BB has the brown-blue conductor from hookswitch
W has the white handset wire
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

the other thing to check is the transmitter and receiver elements. I've had a few of these phones with bad receiver elements and once replaced, they worked fine.
John

RotarDad

Sometimes I've had issues with spade lugs on line cords not making good connections.  Perhaps try another line cord?   Also I wonder if the dial is somehow not functioning properly- do you have another one to try?
Paul

rdelius

Are you are sure the hookswitch contacts are clean and making good contact and not making an intermittent bounce causing the pop?

poplar1

You can temporarily bypass the dial and hookswitch by connecting the handset directly to the induction coil:

White (receiver) to GN on 101A induction coil
Black (transmitter to L2-Y on 101A ind. coil
Red wire (common to transmitter and receiver) is already on R of induction coil.

You can also test the receiver (if you don't have a meter) by connecting the white and red handset wires to L1 and L2 (with the handset away from your ear until connections are secure so you don't get acoustic shock).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

In your picture it appears there is no wire connected to "R" on the dial. That needs a jumper wire from L1.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

That wire is there Harry, just bad pics.
I have compared this phone to about every schematic on the forum, and a couple more.
As far as I can tell, it is wired correctly.
There is no dial tone, no ring, no hook action, except, no pop when on hook.
Only a pop when the dial is removed from rest, and when it returns to rest.
I don't have spares for this phone, so still scratchin my head on this one.

HowardPgh

Check continuity of the 101A coil. One of the windings may be open. If you refurbed the dial, make sure all the contacts are working in their proper order. Can you hear dialtone on it when another phone on the line is picked up? If so chect the wiring in the transmitter end of the handset and see that the F1 element is contacting the springs.
Howard

andre_janew

The only thing I can think of is to clean the contacts on the hook switch with a cotton swab soaked in rubbing alcohol.  I did that with my 302 and it worked after that.