News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Man Caves!

Started by Nilsog, June 03, 2012, 11:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilsog

I've heard a few members talking about their man caves... so post pictures!

Ken

Bill

Wow! I like it! My son has a room like this in his place, but I have never managed one. I gotta try harder.

Bill

gpo706

Here's my "shabby chic" interpretation, you can see it's a man-cave because I'm too lazy to decorate it much, my mother loathes it!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

jsowers

Ken, your man cave reminds me of my grandparents' living room, where they watched TV. It had knotty pine paneling almost exactly like yours and a couch and a recliner, but no fireplace. Granny sat on the recliner and gramps was always lying on the couch. Ironically, that's where he died. Sorry to be a little creepy, there. Good thing you don't have a couch, just an overstuffed chair.

They even had a table similar to your desk and that's where the radio sat. I think I see your radio next to the TV. They had candystripe carpet on the floor for years, and one of those GE hassock fans in the summertime. That's a round fan that looks like a footstool with two blades, upper and lower. The phone was out in the hallway, an AE 50 I've mentioned before.

My grandfather was a tinkerer--both grandfathers were, so I got a double dose. This one took his TV antenna and mounted the mast in some kind of pipe so it would turn. Then he bolted a horizontal piece of iron to the mast just outside the living room window, to serve as a handle. He made a manual rotating antenna, provided you loosened the screen at the window. It's still there, though I haven't turned it in 20 years.

The house and furniture are still there, but not my grandparents or their AE 50. I miss them.
Jonathan

twocvbloke

Mines in a bit of a state at the moment (bouts of depression makes a big mess on the floor!!), but it's basically my bedroom, where I'm allowed to be "me" and not be the same as everyone else (you know, the sheep that follow the flock!!! :D ), got allsorts in here, vacuums, computers, couple of TVs (one for regular use, one that needs a new power switch), telephones, a 12/240v mini fridge, and just loads of cables and things, oh and my bed, of course... :D

Also I need to rearrange some boxes that are getting to be annoying cos they're in the way... ::)

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Nilsog

Wow Doug! I've never seen so many phones in such a small space! That is incredible.
Ken

Nilsog

Here is the bulk of my stuff, some of it is waiting to be worked on, some are finished and others are just for parts. Not really a display, just where I store them to keep the mancave from being cluttered with phones. I prefer a "living" display, so I swap out my phones throughout the house occasionally and those not being used land here.

Maybe once I have a more valuable or rare collection I will make a display.

(This is what the mancave looked like before the phones were moved and organized:)

Ken

jsowers

Ken, this picture was taken ten years ago in my living room. The chair is from my grandmother's house--not the one who had the paneled living room. I have a phone collecting friend who lives in southern California and his first comment about this picture was "I could never do that because of earthquakes."  :) It was the overflow from my phone collection at the time--part eBay and part thrift store purchases.

I thought you'd like to know you're not the only one who uses chairs.

Next to the chair is the 21" GE color TV of my childhood that I can't bear to part with. And I showed some of my sofa so nobody would think there are phones all over my furniture. These have long since been boxed up or displayed elsewhere. I also collect old LPs and you can see Sinatra's Come Fly With Me album was evidently something I had just listened to.
Jonathan

Nilsog

That's what happened to me, 3 ebay wins equaled something like 5 phones, plus the ones I was working on already.

I don't know if you noticed but I have an awesome stereo I got at the local pawn shop for $5. It is a panasonic with a gerrard record changer. I always comb through the records at goodwill and salvation army to see what they've got. There's always something good!
Ken

LarryInMichigan

Those chairs sure look uncomfortable ;)

K1WI

WOW    Doug's "phoine cave" rates a WOW and a half !!!

My small "man cave' , radio shack , and grand kids play room .

Last pix is where I spend time out of hibernation and leave the cave.
Andy F    K1WI

K1WI

Grand kids "Little Mens Cave"

And

When hibernation ends.
Andy F    K1WI

Babybearjs

looks like someone loves telephones!
John

WesternElectricBen

Those are some really nice man caves. My mancave is just my workshop...
Ben