"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kids: A Typewriter, Rotary Phone, and a Record Player

Started by DavePEI, November 27, 2013, 07:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

Quote from: twocvbloke on November 30, 2013, 06:08:11 PM
Quote from: jsowers on November 30, 2013, 02:10:29 PMAnd the Alliance Tenna-Rotor.

I can't help but conjure up thoughts about that being something to do with ladies' personal hygiene......... :o

Far from it. It's a motor attached to an outside TV antenna that rotates it in the direction of the signal. There's a small set-top box with a large dial with North South East and West on it and when you turned the knob, the TV antenna rotated and the pointer went ka-lunk ka-lunk ka-lunk very slowly until the antenna reached the correct spot. It used a 4-wire control cable and it had a button on the bottom to re-sync the antenna to North if it got out of alignment.
Jonathan

jsowers

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 30, 2013, 05:59:33 PM
Wow, that is an amazing record collection. Collecting records is almost as addictive as phones.

That sure is a reliable Buick, but then again, those older vehicles w/ out all the computers are always easy, especially if its an engine issue. Usually a carburetor related issue.

Ben, collecting records IS as addictive as collecting phones. I found them all at thrift stores for $1 each.

The Buick wagon is a 1996 and has all that computer stuff on it. I even have to pay extra at inspection time each year because it has that computer and qualifies for the expensive test. The computer stuff has never failed. The cooling system, by contrast, is a piece of junk. A plastic radiator with no radiator cap. A heater hose with a restrictor that always got clogged until I replaced it. Every part of the cooling system (except the controls) has been replaced on that car. The rest is mostly original at just over 100K miles.
Jonathan

Contempra

Here in Québec/Canada,  the antenna  we don't use it anymore..  However we need a decoder of signal with an antenna but we can gain only a few local channels... If we want other specialty channels, we have bought a special channels receiver-decoder...

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: jsowers on November 30, 2013, 09:41:40 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 30, 2013, 05:59:33 PM
Wow, that is an amazing record collection. Collecting records is almost as addictive as phones.

That sure is a reliable Buick, but then again, those older vehicles w/ out all the computers are always easy, especially if its an engine issue. Usually a carburetor related issue.

Ben, collecting records IS as addictive as collecting phones. I found them all at thrift stores for $1 each.

The Buick wagon is a 1996 and has all that computer stuff on it. I even have to pay extra at inspection time each year because it has that computer and qualifies for the expensive test. The computer stuff has never failed. The cooling system, by contrast, is a piece of junk. A plastic radiator with no radiator cap. A heater hose with a restrictor that always got clogged until I replaced it. Every part of the cooling system (except the controls) has been replaced on that car. The rest is mostly original at just over 100K miles.

Luckily in Minnesota we don't have inspection. I'm guessing in about 1995 is when they put the computers inside the car, which was an ultimate fail. Even if they don't fail, back yard mechanics and small biz shops can't stay in business with all the code computers.

I'd think that 18 miles a day would really amount to something, I would think it be well over 100k.

Ben