News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 36 - WE "A1" Wall Phone

Started by bingster, October 08, 2009, 11:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

We've discussed this one before on the forum, and this scarce phone is the subject of our next auction contest.  It's apparently a trials version of Western Electric's very first attempt at a combined handset wall set.  This particular set has had it's E1 handset replaced with an F1 (the concave portion on the face being designed to receive the E1's transmitter cap).  It's dated II-32, just as the others we've seen have been marked.

This is an astoundingly rare phone, and despite it's already-high price (and the newer handset), I think it's got a long way to go.  And how high will it go?  Get your guess in before the auction's final day and you could be the next contest winner!

S C O R E B O A R D

$  999.99 - McHeath
$1577.67 - JorgeAmely
$1750.00 - Dan/Panther
$1932.00 - bingster
$2019.58 - bwanna
$2065.69 - Dan
$2375.68 - Bill Cahill
$2500.00 - Jester (Winner!)
Sold for $2,815.00
$3250.22 - Dennis Markham
$5000.00 - mienaichizu
= DARRIN =

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Dennis Markham

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

$999.99 give or take. 

It's really interesting how these phones are always dated to 1932 and yet they are essentially exactly the same parts that became the 302 in 1936 a full four years later.  The lag time is surprising, they had a phone with internal ringer and network in 32' but did not seem to want to market that. 

bingster

They were working on the 302 in 1932.  In fact, the design was almost finalized then.  The case was much longer front to back than the final version, but it's essentially the same.  Paul Fassbender has a photo of one on his site, and it's quite the elegant thing.
= DARRIN =

Jester

Stephen

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

i was way high on the last one :o

$2019.58
donna

Ellen

No guess here, but see how the "Wait!" dial card peeks through the CApital one.

mienaichizu

that is one really nice phone, 5000 for me!

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

bingster

Jester already has $2500.  Got another guess?
= DARRIN =

Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill  ;D

"I'll take curtain number one...."

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."