News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Metal Ivory 302

Started by Mister Mike, November 01, 2015, 05:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Mike

So I reluctantly passed on this as I'm just not versed enough on the prewar color 302s. I think this looks like a legit factory paint job, but there's only one photo. I'm guessing a chrome finger wheel is right, and the color seems yellowed and chipped, but consistent overall. If it's not factory, it must have been a professional reseller. It ended up going for about $75 shipped. What do the experts think -- did I miss out, or was this nothing special?

unbeldi

Quote from: Mister Mike on November 01, 2015, 05:05:02 PM
So I reluctantly passed on this as I'm just not versed enough on the prewar color 302s. I think this looks like a legit factory paint job, but there's only one photo. I'm guessing a chrome finger wheel is right, and the color seems yellowed and chipped, but consistent overall. If it's not factory, it must have been a professional reseller. It ended up going for about $75 shipped. What do the experts think -- did I miss out, or was this nothing special?

With the exception of the cordage the basic set looks just fine. The finger wheel is stainless steel, and the dial has a white casing, both characteristic of the 5J dial before the war.  The handset is groove-less and probably the correct brown Bakelite, as observed when removing the caps.  The set has the requisite chips on corners and particularly on the cradle posts. Such are the typical usage signs of the sets of that time.
The handset cord should be a straight ivory cloth cord.
Dial card looks original, being from a 2L-4N numbering plan, which was typical in many places in the 1940s.

The price is not unreasonable since it includes s/h, despite the handset cord.  Many cords of the time are unusable from deterioration.

Compare with the posting in this thread:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11918.0
Also here.

Mister Mike

I was afraid you'd say that! Oh well, at least I'm getting a quick education in this stuff. I should have gone for it, but I'll have to wait for the next opportunity. Thanks for the feedback!

Doug Rose

I bid on it but was outbid....it is a nice set...it went for a fair price...Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

:'(

Well, they are the most common of the prewar colored metal ones, so keep looking and you'll find one.
This one was nice in that the dial still had its stainless steel number card frame, these are very often lost.

wds

I was watching that one also.  I had asked the seller for more pictures.
Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on November 01, 2015, 06:00:07 PM
I was watching that one also.  I had asked the seller for more pictures.

Looks indeed like a ca. 1939 vintage phone.