News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What does your shop look like?

Started by Greg G., October 07, 2012, 11:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

There's a thread in here about various people's desks, but I'm looking for ideas on how others organize the actual shop where you work on your phones, how you organize your tools, the work space, the areas where you paint, sand, and clean.  In particular I need ideas on how to organize a small work space, what you use for parts storage, etc.  I have a little alcove that I want to use that's 44" W, 55" Tall, 34" deep.  I'm thinking an old library card catalog might fit in there, but even those are getting to be collectors items and hard to find.  Not sure if those kind of drawers would be big enough anyway.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Only because I just cleaned my work area up this week. It was so bad I couldn't walk through it without tripping, I mean literally tripping Janet was ready to kill me....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Thanks for the photos, Doug.

When I toured your facility a few years ago, I was amazed at the process you had for moving items from shelf to shelf as they progressed through the ebay listing and sale process.

I see years of flea markets and yard sales has your space looking more like mine.   ;)

I had to work hard to focus on the tidy areas when posting the parts storage photos in this thread...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6995.msg79342#msg79342

The floor and most of the flat surfaces are stacked high with boxes of projects to be done someday.

Dave's workspace in that thread is a good model to work toward.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

McHeath

Wow!  Your shop looks like Disneyland for a phone phanatic!  I'd love to prowl there, lots of gems. 

Greg G.

Quote from: paul-f on October 07, 2012, 08:36:28 PM

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6995.msg79342#msg79342

That's part of what I was looking for.  Still interested in seeing other work areas.

Thanks for the pics Doug, I don't feel so bad now.  I finally cleared off my work desk and organized my projects starting with the easiest and will work my way up from there.  First up is mounting a couple of phones on some backboards I found at an art supply store.  The one on the left is for an AE 50 that has a backboard, but it's beat.  The square one is for my WE Hotel phone.  Need to order a decal for it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Weco355aman

my workbench on left. This is a test post. Still working on photo uploads.
Phil

twocvbloke

My workshop looks exactly like my bedroom.... ;D

Ain't posting photos though cos it's a right mess... :D

kleenax

Couple of photos of my shop over the years. It's changed a lot since I got into casting since I have to make room for the various machinery that I utilize.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Greg G.

Quote from: twocvbloke on October 16, 2012, 09:56:55 AM
My workshop looks exactly like my bedroom.... ;D

Ain't posting photos though cos it's a right mess... :D

That's ok, I was looking for ideas on being organized anyway.  Mine used to look like this:
- Mike Row
e

Russ Kirk

That is a great idea to hang the extra phones on the shop/garage. Now I know where I will hang my extra phones. 
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

twocvbloke

Quote from: Brinybay on October 16, 2012, 11:56:35 AMThat's ok, I was looking for ideas on being organized anyway.  Mine used to look like this:

That's tidy compared to my bedroom... :D

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on October 16, 2012, 11:56:35 AM
That's ok, I was looking for ideas on being organized anyway.  Mine used to look like this:

I got some pictures of Briny's Shop more recent than the ones he posted above.

Terry

HarrySmith

darn! I thought I had a pile of "to do" phones! That is incredible, where is that?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 17, 2012, 12:33:36 PMwhere is that?

It's in heaven, I'd be so happy with a pile like that to play with.... ;D

AE_Collector

Pictures from the Turtle Lake, Wisconsin "Hoard-O-Phones". This is just one small portion of them.