News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

pound bargains, plastic and rubber (one dial phone included, promise)!

Started by gpo706, May 17, 2010, 12:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

Venue 24 (1000R) pulse, the later model was switchable to DTMF, grubby set, should clean up nice, nice feature is the the dialled number flashes the digits dialled as it pulses through the to exchange so you can tell when you're nearly through.

Serial No; starts "87", so 1987. - 99p

http://www.britishtelephones.com/t10005.htm

Another unloved 280, this might be good if it turns out to have a decent alphanumeric finger wheel, not a matt black overpainted job, I have 2 mats and an alphanumeric but its badly worn, these things are cute, balck rubber, indescrucable, simple to fix or rewire, nothing much to go wrong with them, yours for - again 99p, by far the cheapest of the 4.

And a rather more expensive (£17.09) 286A, this plugs a gap in my test phone collection, its not here yet though looks sound enough in the picture.

Yeah, yeah, I'm cheap!

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

gpo706

She didn't come with the phone - sorry chaps.

Dan/Panther

I love the yellow phone in the carry case. it reminds me of a Geiger counter I have from the 50's for civil defense.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

gpo706

The 286A with the ribbed case is a funky bit of kit, can't wait for it to arrive, this one is a Hossiden-Besson made with the flimsy black handset, I have the 286 by them and the Chesivale version and the Chgesivale is far superior, no fiddly little buttons and a substantial handset.

Funnily enough they are all lumped together under 286 here:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/t286.htm

The "A" models must be the ribbed case ones, also funny that the 2 versions of the 286 are utterly different in design, so BT must have specified the ribbed case as the "A" standardised case and left the gubbins to the manufacturer.

As I say the Chesivale set is the better made from the 2 286's I have.

Also the Venue 24 was another Hosiden-Besson design, its a nice design, but about as flimsy as their test set mouldings in thickness and lightness.

But its rather growing on me, I just put the 4 x AA batteries in it and now trying to figure out how to set the display up!

gpo706

Update:

The 286A takes 6 x PP3 (9V) batteries nearly half as much as the bloody thing cost, I need to raid the piggy bank just to juice it up.

The 280 I've wired to croc-clips and attached to my test terminal, - dead.

Opened it up and it is a refurb job with 700 series transmitter and receiver installed, this is weird none of my other 3 have 700 bits in them, a real curiousity, I'll get it working sooner or later...