News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

DEAR SELLER, THIS IS HOW I WANT MY PHONE PACKED

Started by Craig T, February 26, 2010, 04:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

D/P....I am an average seller and I deeply care that the product arrives safely. If I didn't; eBay would throw me off, but I care because being a buyer, I know first hand opening a box and seeing it ruined. As for being that stupid, obviously I must be. But my youngest has been accepted to the Masters program at Simmons and at another 40K a year, I need to keep selling on eBay. I find it amazing that people who do not sell on eBay think sellers are either stupid or do not care. Check my/our feedback,  jflowres 99.7% positive. In this day of feedback stacked against the seller, we cannot leave negative feedback. Buyers on the other hand, can just not pay for it, renegotiate the selling price or the postage, demand a refund or just decide they do not want it and eBay/Paypal lets them return it, on my dime! The buyer always has the threat of negative feedback if you don't do as I demand. But still I/we maintain a 99.7% positive feedback. Am I stupid or do I just not care?  If it weren't for all us stupid sellers that do not care, who would the smart, caring buyers buy from. Walk a mile in my shoes. No offense taken.....Doug
Kidphone

McHeath

I don't think D/P would lump you in with "average sellers" as you are pretty far above average in your concern for the phone collecting hobby, but I don't want to put words in his mouth. 

My own personal experiences from E-Bay are a mixed bag, about half of my phones have arrived damaged.  And that's with always giving friendly advice on how to pack phones etc.  Even some of my high dollar buys have been packed very poorly and arrived broken.  In every case when I contacted the seller they were dismayed that the phone arrived damaged and offered to somehow make it right, usually a refund, but I've always deferred so far and kept the phone.  (getting good at glueing parts back on :))

I don't think people are trying to be malicious or dumb who poorly package phones, they just may not be into them like we are and think that the things are pretty durable so it should be alright. 

Of course I could also have a pretty rough handling post office and UPS office to explain my large percentage of broken items.  A few years ago the local post office actually was in the news for above average complaints on damaged items.

Craig T

Dennis, I was just ordering some supplies from USPS and I noticed that they are now touting eco-friendly boxes. I bet that had to do with those boxes getting thinner.

Doug Rose

Quote from: McHeath on February 27, 2010, 03:19:30 PM
I don't think D/P would lump you in with "average sellers" as you are pretty far above average in your concern for the phone collecting hobby, but I don't want to put words in his mouth. 

Thanks McHeath....I do apprecite it. Being an eBay seller is not an easy thing. Alot of time finding an item; then making it presentable, taking pictures, listing, answering questions, packing, shipping. Its a lot of work for many times a very small return.....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

AET

Dennis does now how to pack a phone for shipping.  So does Greg.  Very nicely done.  Looks professional!
- Tom

Craig T

Here is the finale on the Moss Green I had sent to me. Thanks again Dennis, this phone was great all the way through. G3 handset, 7C dial, nice 1959 base, new handset cord and a nice original line cord that I refurbished (both cords also from Dennis  :)

The case is from 1960, first year of hard plastic phones. This now sits right next the the 1960 gray.

Jim Stettler

I like the dial center. It really gives the phone a sharp look.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Craig T

Thanks Jim. That one was a custom Bingster card and he did great matching it up. Thanks again Bingster  :)

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Craig T on March 01, 2010, 10:46:53 PM
Thanks Jim. That one was a custom Bingster design and he did great matching it up. Thanks again Bingster  :)
Congratulations Bingster, It looks "right".
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dennis Markham

Craig, you did a great job on that old green phone.  The dial card does make a perfect match.  Great job!

Craig T

Thanks Dennis, I had a good phone to start with again. There were hardly any fine scratches on this case and of course nothing major at all. You had everything I needed in that box to make a great green phone for my shelf  :)

Jim Stettler

I neglected to mention the obvious. The phone looks great.
Congratulations Craig
The card is a great touch.

This forum has reinvigorated me on the hobby that I have been involved with most of my  Adult life. I thank all members for that. Photos soon.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Craig T

I can't wait to see your new setup Jim, it sounds great! I am still managing with a phone shelf for the show ones and a good stack of boxes for the others. I can see how a phone shelf turns into a phone shed and then a phone room though  :)

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Craig T

8)  Oh boy, I better get back to phone class.

Just a picture of Finlover's red 202 beat out one of my actual phones for a spot on my own phone shelf!