"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Some questions about my single slot rotary payphone

Started by pete1980, June 20, 2017, 05:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pete1980

Hi guys!!

I've had my WE single slot rotary payphone mounted to the wall with a homemade backer board for a little while.  I just got a great pedestal and I'm curious as to exactly how I mount to that.  It doesn't appear to have any threaded holes I could use to bolt it in.  I've searched around and a bit through this forum but didn't have much luck.

I'm also curious how I can get access to put a different dial card in it.  It definitely is not like my 500 where I can remove the dial with a pin and overturning it.  That makes sense because I'm sure techs would have been replacing dials left and right.  I've tried to figure it out but can't quite see how it works.  I've also had no luck looking for this info online.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: pete1980 on June 20, 2017, 05:43:13 PM
Hi guys!!

I've had my WE single slot rotary payphone mounted to the wall with a homemade backer board for a little while.  I just got a great pedestal and I'm curious as to exactly how I mount to that.  It doesn't appear to have any threaded holes I could use to bolt it in.  I've searched around and a bit through this forum but didn't have much luck.

I'm also curious how I can get access to put a different dial card in it.  It definitely is not like my 500 where I can remove the dial with a pin and overturning it.  That makes sense because I'm sure techs would have been replacing dials left and right.  I've tried to figure it out but can't quite see how it works.  I've also had no luck looking for this info online.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!
BSPs for single slot payphones are numerous in the TCI library:

501-165-115 Iss 2 - 70A-Type Dial tl.pdf
501-165-115 Iss 3 - 70A & B-Type Dials.pdf

506-100-106 Iss 1 - Coin Tel Sta's - Multislot, DTF.pdf
506-329-100 Iss 1 - Coin Telephone Sets - 1C & 2C Types_tl.pdf

506-410-400 Add 1 - CTS 1A & 2A - Svc.pdf
506-410-400 Iss 1 - CTS 1A & 2A - Svc.pdf
506-410-400 Iss 6 - CTS 1A, 1C, 1E, 2A, 2C.pdf
506-410-400 Iss 8 - CTS 1C, 1D, 1E, 2C, 2D Ident, Inst & Maint_tl.pdf

506-410-401 Iss 2 - CTS 1D, 2D - Ident.pdf
506-410-402 Iss 2 - CTS 1D, 2D - TOP.pdf

They show how to replace the number card.  On rotary dial phones a tiny Allen screw is in the hole to prevent tampering.  You will need a very small Allen wrench, size probably stated in the BSP.

Payphone installer

The dial is removed by finding a Allen tool that fits the dial Allen, it  is then turned in not out till it holds the dial mounting gear in place. Once it is snug you twist the finger wheel off. There is a tool that looks like a gold ink pin that has all the dial tools inside including the Allen. This is the same size Allen that holds in the intro cards on a older set. This tool is often on eBay.

pete1980

A huge thank you to you both.

I found the info I needed about attaching to the pedestal in the BSP, and way more info.  I love it!

I'm watching ebay for that tool, it sounds like that would come in handy for my collection.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: pete1980 on June 24, 2017, 10:52:15 AM
A huge thank you to you both.

I found the info I needed about attaching to the pedestal in the BSP, and way more info.  I love it!

I'm watching ebay for that tool, it sounds like that would come in handy for my collection.
You're welcome.   

There is no need to wait for that special tool on eBay.  Any ordinary Allen wrench set available at any hardware store will contain one of the proper size.  It might be 0.050" but I'm not certain.  It is a small but common size.

mentalstampede

.050" sounds right. It's the same size as the one that holds the instruction cards in.

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on June 24, 2017, 11:37:06 AM
You're welcome.   

There is no need to wait for that special tool on eBay.  Any ordinary Allen wrench set available at any hardware store will contain one of the proper size.  It might be 0.050" but I'm not certain.  It is a small but common size.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: mentalstampede on June 24, 2017, 02:02:49 PM
.050" sounds right. It's the same size as the one that holds the instruction cards in.
That reminded me that I have a small one that I keep handy for certain frequent uses so I tried it in the instruction card set screws and dial and indeed it is 0.050".