News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial Plate Question

Started by HarrySmith, April 02, 2020, 04:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Does anybody know what metal was used for making the dial plates? I know they are porcelain faces but what is the backing? Curious minds want to know! I guess that should be singular, my curious mind. I doubt if anyone else is curious ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

As far as I know steel. Because you need a hard tough metal to stand up to the process.
Use a magnet on the back, if it sticks it's steel.
KEN

Jack Ryan

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 02, 2020, 04:09:29 PM
Does anybody know what metal was used for making the dial plates? I know they are porcelain faces but what is the backing? Curious minds want to know! I guess that should be singular, my curious mind. I doubt if anyone else is curious ;D

Most plates are steel but, as you probably know, a few were plastic (in the 1930s). Also some were steel with a cellulose acetate rather than enamel coating.

The (vitreous) enamel coating is often called porcelain in the US and "enamel" refers to paint. This confuses the issue somewhat but when I say (vitreous) enamel, I mean a material made by fusing powdered glass to a substrate by firing. When I say porcelain, I mean a ceramic material made by heating clay-type materials to high temperatures.

Jack