News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mystery Parts / Anyone know what these are?

Started by rinaldit2, November 15, 2013, 04:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rinaldit2

Hello,

While sorting some parts lately I ran across these small metal things; I know I've seen them before, but I can't remember what they are or where they belong.  Can anyone help jog my memory?  Many thanks,

-Tom Rinaldi
Rhinebeck, NY

G-Man

Quote from: rinaldit2 on November 15, 2013, 04:53:48 PM
Hello,

While sorting some parts lately I ran across these small metal things; I know I've seen them before, but I can't remember what they are or where they belong.  Can anyone help jog my memory?  Many thanks,

-Tom Rinaldi
Rhinebeck, NY

Tiny shovels for burying mouse-poop? :P

Sorry but I couldn't resist!

rdelius

Not for telephone.Shelf supports.Put in holes in wooden sides,place glass or wood across

poplar1

Tom, welcome to the forum.

In 1972, Rhinebeck (876-) , Red Hook (758-) and Tivoli (-759) were served by the Red Hook Telephone Company. That was about the time they were bought out by another company, possibly Continental. From Red Hook, you could dial 9 and you would hear Tivoli dial tone, then could dial just the last 4 digits of the Tivoli number. This was all Strowger (step-by-step) central offices.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on November 15, 2013, 05:32:35 PM
Tom, welcome to the forum.

In 1972, Rhinebeck (876-) , Red Hook (758-) and Tivoli (-759) were served by the Red Hook Telephone Company. That was about the time they were bought out by another company, possibly Continental. From Red Hook, you could dial 9 and you would hear Tivoli dial tone, then could dial just the last 4 digits of the Tivoli number. This was all Strowger (step-by-step) central offices.

Sorry, poplar1, but that reply was a bigger mystery to me than the unknown items. In other words, huh?

Seriously, what were you talking about and does it have anything to do with the two items?

poplar1

Sorry, just rambling on. At least I didn't bring up Loudon Wainwright, Jr.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: rinaldit2 on November 15, 2013, 04:53:48 PM
Can anyone help jog my memory?  Many thanks,

Are the insides of the barrels threaded?

dsk

Hi, and welcome.  :D
8) The parts looks more like the support for the legs used one some old camping stoves.
Not exactly like this: but close.

dsk

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rdelius on November 15, 2013, 05:17:50 PM
Not for telephone.Shelf supports.Put in holes in wooden sides,place glass or wood across
I concur, Mine are telephone related because some of my phone shelfs use these supports.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rinaldit2

Hi All - thanks so much for the overwhelming responses!  And yes, I reckon these little guys are more likely tiny shovels for rodent entrails than anything telephone related.  Ha.  Also enjoyed that historical perspective on the Rhinebeck/Red Hook/Tivoli system details.  Thanks all, much obliged!!

-Tom.