"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red WE Spacesaver

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 09, 2017, 04:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: ramegoom on November 14, 2017, 11:14:25 PM
Did they ever make that handset style in red? I have a space saver and the only thing it doesn't have is a red handset.

It looks like yours was originally Black, but an aftermarket refurbisher converted it to an emergency style phone in recent years.

I bet a Red G1 would look appropriate on that! :)

Quote from: Jester on November 15, 2017, 01:56:07 AM
The short answer is "no".  They made the F style handset in a color called Pekin Red-- sometimes called "tomato red" later--but they hadn't dreamed this handset would have a great demand in any color than black, so the 1950's color palette was covered by painted black Bakelite F1 handsets. What I have seen on sets like this, many are marked F4.  Basically, an early "solid" F1 has the H1 receiver capsule replaced with the newer U1 unit. This is done with a set of red and white jumper wires installed to replace the spring contacts in the original handset. Also, these sets were seen with g type handsets after 1960, so you could argue the point of using a G3 in dark red on a space saver.

Actually, my Spacesaver is -53, not -20. It's somewhere in between my Pekin Red Continental and my 1955 Red 500, but I assume it's actually -53, and my 500 is just discolored or faded slightly.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

poplar1

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 13, 2017, 09:49:32 PM

However, the date in the base is 3rd Quarter 1955. That would explain the Neutral Gray cord, if the phone was built Red at the factory.

Is there a part number and date on the handset cord?
Wondering if it is a cord made for F1 (H3x) or for a G3 (H4x)....
What color cords are on the "blood red" 302s from 1955 (those made in the 500 colors -- molded housings and painted handsets)?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: ramegoom on November 14, 2017, 11:14:25 PM
Did they ever make that handset style in red? I have a space saver and the only thing it doesn't have is a red handset.

That looks like a North Electric handset.
I believe that the chrome cradle indicates it should have a Western Electric G-type handset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, I can't believe it's been this long since I got it! :o

I finished polishing awhile ago, but I added the correct dial card retainer and waxed it last night.

I can't get the handset open for some reason. I tried unscrewing each cap so hard that I could feel the handset binding under the pressure, so I stopped. I also can't take the base apart, because the handset cord conductors are extremely dry-rotted. It displays very nicely on the outside, however.

I also made a tiny chip in the paint getting the retainer on! :'(
Christian Petterson

Pourme

My eyes aren't used to seeing a spacesaver in red, so this set immediately grabs my eye....The red cleaned up so well, that is the pay off! What a spectacular set!...That cord & the chrome cradle is the kicker! Nice job!

I wouldn't be concerned about not getting it opened.   It's gonna look good in your collection.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Dennis Markham

Beautiful phone, Christian.  Nicely done.

I've had good luck heating the handset caps with a hair dryer.  Often they come right off after doing that.

~Dennis

Babybearjs

I saw one of those on Ebay once... would have loved to have gotten it, but no money and I would have to hide it.... A red 211... awesome find....
John

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks guys! I really am pretty proud of it! :)

If I had a reason to access the handset, I would try to get those caps off. There's no real reason to, so I'll leave them on for now.
Christian Petterson

Doug Rose

I have a similar one with a red thermoplastic handset and painted metal. Pretty good match with the paint to the thermoplastic. Still looking for a cloth handset cord to match...Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice phone, Doug!

The paint looks great! Is it original?
Christian Petterson

Doug Rose

Christian....as far as I can tell, looks like the real deal. The new red cords are too bright and the older ones are too dull.of a match for it.  I found this at Brimfield about 10 years ago in a box or dials and handsets. This was wrapped in bubble and I barely looked at it checking out the dials and handset.  When I got it home, I was more than happy. I am amazed at how good the thermoplastic and paint on the metal match.

On another note, Jan found a factory green WE 202, with matching cords with fantastic original paint at a flea about 5 years ago ....Doug
Kidphone