News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Time to give finlover a run for his money...sort of

Started by phoneguy06, April 21, 2009, 09:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phoneguy06

I couldn't resist having a little fun this morning taking few more, and in my opinion better, photos of my red phone. I wanted to see if it would shine as much as our flashy finlover's phones if it were in better light. While it's not quite the same, I think it's close. I just realized that if you click on photos in the postings, they open in their original size. The closeup of the dial plate is interesting, because upon close inspection, some of the letters/numbers are actually smudgy. I guess quality went down in every aspect of production towards the end.

Dan/Panther

Phoneguy;
I don't want to talk about it yet, I'm not ready.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

By some turtle wax F21 and then take pictures-- they will glisten!

http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator

If you don't believe me check out Jorge's phones

one example

http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/AE801959Red#5242981067002371122
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

phoneguy06

Thanks for the suggestion Dan... perhaps I will try the Turtle wax on an old phone... given that this one is a brand-new never used phone, I'm a little reluctant to actually polish it.

Dan

it's a wipe on armoral type polish, you really don't need to rub it in. They will really shine
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

I like this red Cortelco phone, a nice bright cheery color.

I still suspect that finlovers phones, especially the aqua ones, are somehow color modified.

And Jorge's phones in his web album are pretty sweet.  He's got some of the rare ones.   

contraste

Dan/Panther

Phoneguy06;

The Turtle wax F-21 can't be beat.
What I do is use heavy cotton gloves I bought from Harbor Freight. I spray the F-21 on the gloves and give the phone a good rubdown. Not too much F-21 just enough to get the palms of the gloves damp. I then buff the phone with a micro fiber clothe I got from Wal-Mart, 8 for $5.00, they won't even scratch the surface of a CD. That's how soft they are.
Be careful when handling a phone with the F-21 sprayed Gloves, that stuff is as  slick as snot.  Leave the phone on a table while rubbing it to be safe.
It keep plastic shinning for weeks, but bakelite needs constant daily rubbing if in use.

D/P

phoneguy06

Quote from: McHeath on April 22, 2009, 12:58:23 AM
I like this red Cortelco phone, a nice bright cheery color.

I still suspect that finlovers phones, especially the aqua ones, are somehow color modified.

And Jorge's phones in his web album are pretty sweet.  He's got some of the rare ones.   

Heath,

Did you ever see the PM I sent you a while back in answer to your queries about this phone?

McHeath

Oh yeah I did, sorry for not responding.  An interesting history that phone has.  Cortelco is still making that color 2500s, which I've been toying with buying one of to have a late model 2500 to compare to my older ones.  I've used to only have ivory and black phones but have been trying to get more of the colors, I just bought a pink 500 from the 60s in great shape, which will be fun to have. 

JorgeAmely

Sorry, but Jorge is not finlover. I know finlover and he is a very nice guy (from Dallas Texas).

Jorge Amely
Jorge

AET

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 22, 2009, 03:00:13 AM
Phoneguy06;

The Turtle wax F-21 can't be beat.
What I do is use heavy cotton gloves I bought from Harbor Freight. I spray the F-21 on the gloves and give the phone a good rubdown. Not too much F-21 just enough to get the palms of the gloves damp. I then buff the phone with a micro fiber clothe I got from Wal-Mart, 8 for $5.00, they won't even scratch the surface of a CD. That's how soft they are.
Be careful when handling a phone with the F-21 sprayed Gloves, that stuff is as  slick as snot.  Leave the phone on a table while rubbing it to be safe.
It keep plastic shinning for weeks, but bakelite needs constant daily rubbing if in use.

D/P

If you look in the pic of my entire collection, you can see a bottle of F-21 sitting sideways next to my mirror.
- Tom

Dan/Panther

Quote from: JorgeAmely on May 14, 2009, 11:59:45 PM
Sorry, but Jorge is not finlover. I know finlover and he is a very nice guy (from Dallas Texas).

Jorge Amely
Invite him to drop by, we have a few questions we would like to ask. this seems like a place he would want to visit.

D/P

contraste

Quote from: JorgeAmely on May 14, 2009, 11:59:45 PM

Jorge Amely

Sorry Jorge, I was being flippant.

Your phones are superbly restored and photographed.

HobieSport

Quote from: contraste
Sorry Jorge, I was being flippant.
Your phones are superbly restored and photographed.

Contraste I "got" the "conspiracy theory" joke, it brought a smile and I thought it was a compliment to both Jorge and Finlover. I guess I enjoy somewhat flippant humor, but I have to remember that my well intentioned silliness and wordplay can sometimes be misread on the interweb and that's why I use the winking emoticon a lot. ;)

But I digress. I'm just extremely impressed, purely as a rank amateur, with the work of both Jorge and Finlover; it's an inspiration to levels of quality that I never ever expect to achieve, but something to strive towards. Thank you Jorge for the great and educational photo albums. 8)