"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally Got A WECO 555

Started by Fabius, May 10, 2017, 06:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Fabius on June 19, 2017, 10:38:41 PM
There are 4 terminal blocks marked stations, trunks, aux at the bottom. Where would the terminal block for power be in relation to them?
I just updated my earlier posting.  Refer back to it for details.  The SD shows power connected to one called MISC which also includes things like buzzer leads.

536-550-210 Iss. 4 ("Installation") Fig. 13 shows 3 terminals strips at the base but does not ID them.  Fig. 11 shows 2 rows of 3 terminal strips.  Fig. 17 titled "Rear view - Mounting detail for Tie Trunk and Manual Conference Circuit Eqpt Units" shows 4 terminals strips.  Do you have any optional jack units in the face of the swbd other than ordinary CO trunk units?  Do you have any horizontal relay mounting plates in the base of the swbd  in the relay rack plate mounting area at the bottom?  These might explain what AUX is for.

However to the best of my recollection all optional units have chassis mounted C-J plugs and the factory wiring harnesses which connect to them are terminated in C-J sockets.  Look for tags with J59013LL markings where "LL" are suffix letters.  If you find any they will identify the purpose of the unit or cable assembly from the Equipment Design Requirements (8xx division) BSP.

Fabius

There are pictures front and back at the being of this thread. Thanks for your help.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Fabius on June 19, 2017, 10:50:56 PM
There are pictures front and back at the being of this thread. Thanks for your help.
OK.  The photo of the front is good but the one of the back is quite blurry: shake or focus problem.  Nevertheless they're good enough to see nothing special installed. 

However although the TEL unit (extreme left viewed from the back) normally has a lot of vacant relay mounting spaces it seems like it might be incomplete, but it's hard to be sure due to the blurriness and cables in the way.  A better photo of the back would probably help.

I have a very complete set of 555 BSPs, SDs and even brochures, perhaps everything ever published so maybe everything except an actual 555  ;D.  Nothing actually shows a photo of the back nor drawing identifying the physical locations of the terminal blocks.

Alex G. Bell

BTW, a 555 normally has a sheet of plexiglass on top of the keyshelf raising the height of the surface to about the same as the metal strip at the left.  It protects the phenolic surface and provides a place to put instructions for the attendant for ready reference.

trainman

No Tom, I dont have any extra parts from my board.

As to your mystery plug, really need to follow the wiring to see where it goes.

Usually the battery, ground, and ringing voltages were brought over on cable pairs from the CO.  but its also possible this was powered from a building battery, or even a WE power supply, like from a key system.  the plug could have been a customized way to connect power, but without tracing where it goes, its only speculation.

Fabius

Quote from: trainman on June 20, 2017, 11:18:52 AM

quote]

The plug is wired to the block on the bottom right. The block is marked AUX. There is one lead that is connected to the metal frame of the board.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on June 19, 2017, 11:12:15 PM

A better photo of the back would probably help.

This picture of the back should be better.I took it with a DSLR.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Fabius on June 20, 2017, 01:05:23 PM
This picture of the back should be better.I took it with a DSLR.
The R/H portion of the 4th TS seems to be marked "MISC" 1-52.  That's where power and other singular connections are made. 

To the left of that it's marked "TRKS" 1-14 on the fanning strip with T&R on the terminal insulation strips themselves, which is where the incoming trunks to the CO trunk units connect.

The cable, especially the bright yellow solid color conductor, looks like commercial Belden cable, not something a telco employee would have used.  If the jacket is silver rather than light olive gray, as it appears in comparison to the larger cables with Amphenol plugs, it's certainly commercial cable.  If it's stranded, ditto.  So this looks like something added by a previous owner.  The casters too unless you added them.

A close up of the MISC TS may reveal more.  The resolution is not high enough to see what term's the leads are connected to.

I'll review the appearance of your TEL unit to determine whether it looks complete.  I think the 2 relays under the (missing) cover is correct but my 556 TEL unit also has a B-type relay at the bottom near the aluminum cased IND or RET coil.
I have a spare 555 TEL unit I can dig out to look at even though I don't have a 555 swbd.

trainman

What numbered terminals does that plug go to? The print only has the terminals shown by number.

trainman

It looks like it goes to the power and ring terminals.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: trainman on June 20, 2017, 11:18:52 AM
No Tom, I dont have any extra parts from my board.

Usually the battery, ground, and ringing voltages were brought over on cable pairs from the CO.  but its also possible this was powered from a building battery, or even a WE power supply, like from a key system.  the plug could have been a customized way to connect power, but without tracing where it goes, its only speculation.
Regardless of how it's powered, the power leads connect to the same term's on the MISC TS.

trainman

Tom, go back to an earlier reply. Alex said what terminals the power and ring voltage attach to. Its on page 3.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: trainman on June 20, 2017, 02:18:06 PM
Tom, go back to an earlier reply. Alex said what terminals the power and ring voltage attach to. Its on page 3.
Bear in mind that profile settings determine how many postings appear on a given member's screen and the order.  I set mine to the MAX and newest at the top.  So it's more useful to cite the reply # rather than the page # since page #s may differ according to a member's profile settings while message #s are constant.

The details I posted on power connections are in Reply #44. 

Page 2 for me is older Replies 1-9 while page 1 is 10-59.  When I open a topic the newest replies appear at the top.  I find that much more convenient.  As new replies are added the older 1st page will grow longer as early replies are pushed from page 1 to page 2 until the page size limit I have set is reached.

Fabius

Hopefully these are better pictures. Notice on the MISC block that some of the lugs are strapped together. Also the cable has two leads connected to the metal frame on the right. The connector attached to the cable that is wired down on the MISC block is the exact same type that is from the dial assembly.

Thanks for all the help.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

trainman

Yes. Some lugs will be strapped together. I dont recall which ones are strapped but some from 1 thru 4 are strapped. There is a frame ground, which is the one on the right, to the frame. An older cloth covered wire comes from the back of the terminal strips to the frame. Also looks like a wire or two to ground from that plug, perhaps.

This is from memory, but  1 through 4 is battery  -24v,  45, 46, 47, 48 is battery +24v,   and 22, 24 is ring voltage. Double check what Alex said a few posts back. I think im not correct with the polarity.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/cat_view/185-bruce-crawford-library/187-western-electric/213-sd-cd-66520-555-general-ckts

Toward the back of the SD document is a schematic of the terminal strips with its numbered terminals. And it shows whats strapped. Figure 54 on the SD drawing is what you want.

From your picture I figured out what they did. Keep in mind the terminals can be strapped from the front, as well as the back of the strip. They attached -24v to terminal 4 with is strapped with terminal 1 through 4.  Ground +24v went to frame ground, because of strapping is common with 46 through 48.  Ring is 21, because of strapping 21 is strapped to 22.  Drawing shows Ring voltage on 22, 24.

Since you have amphenol connectors from some of the station lines, you could get a modular patch panel with a amphenol connector on the back. Make wiring up some phones a little easier.