and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - April 2016

Started by AE_Collector, March 31, 2016, 12:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - April 2016     *** VOTE FOR ONE ( 1 ) ***

Fabius' Western Electric 551C 1A2 system from a telephone show for $40
Autonut's prototype Contempra Speakerphone from a Thrift Store for $2.50
dsk's Amtszusatz 33 trunk unit for the German WWII field exchange bought online for Nok 1100 (approx $134 USD)
zapper's 1950 Western Electric matching date 500 Desk Telephone on eBay for $52 plus $17 shipping
Pourme's "Craigslist Bonanza" of 20 phones and 4 subsets plus parts and prints for $400 and 4 gallons of petrol

AE_Collector

Post your "Find of the Month" here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) at least one picture of the item.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) where and/or how it was found.
4) the forum link if discussed in another topic on CRPF.
5) the eBay link if won there.
6) and other information of importance about the find.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners click here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12971.0

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on PhotoBucket. Thanks John.

To check them out, click --> HERE <--

Terry

Fabius

I nominate my Western Electric 551C 1A2 system. Bought at the recent Shipshewana telephone show for $40. It is a complete unit with power supply, ringing generator and 4 cards. It was tested at the show and is working. It has the original cover.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

DavePEI

I would like to nominate Doug, (Autonut)'s Prototype Contempra Speakerphone for Find of the Month for April. Found at a Belleville, Ontario Thrift store for $2.50. We did a lot of work confirming this indeed was a prototype, then it has also been confirmed as a prototype by John Tyson, the designer of the Contempra. John calls it, "a unique one-of-kind prototype that I designed and had built in Ottawa" It is indeed a Canadian first! An incredible find, Doug!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15993.0

As mentioned above, it has since been confirmed a Prototype by its designer, John Tyson of BNR.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

I would like to nominate my last item.
The pretty rare Amtszusatz 33  who is a trunk unit for the German WWII field exchange.
http://www.skanfil.no/LotDetail?l=LOT/1550201

I got it for Nok 1100    (approx $134)

I really cant wait for seeing it, and of-course testing it out.

If the eBay prices are real, I did a scoop!  I would gladly have doubled the bid to get it.

This time the cost was of less importance than normally, just because this was a phone I have been looking for for a long time, and really did wish I had.

A link about related items: http://www.la6nca.net/tysk2/telefon/index.htm

dsk

AE_Collector

The month of April is winding down with just 3 nominations for Find of the Month so far. Any more out there?

Terry

zapper

1950 Western Electric Desk Telephone

eBay item number:
I will nominate this telephone purchased on E Bay
The phone arrived this past week and all dates match 1950.  I didn't check the Mounting cord or Handset cord dates.   
Home today and a quick recheck shows the following dates:
Cover 11-16-50 2
G1 Handset 12-50
Transmitter 11 50
Receiver Can't make out the date may be 54
Receiver cap 11-51
Transmitter Cap 1-54
425A Network 7-50
Ringer is dated  12 50 and missing a model number
Equalizer is dated Oct 19 1950 and is missing a model number
I can't read the cord info, will have my grand daughter check tomorrow
Zapper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Western-Electric-Desk-Telephone-TYPE-G1-VERY-NICE-/291738161479

poplar1

What is a "TYPE G1 VERY NICE"?
Maybe it should be called a 500?
"500" dated 11/50,  recoded 500B in II-56?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

zapper

The seller listed the phone as a G1(the handset is marked G1), not knowing the correct model. I agree, The Find of the Month should read 1950 Western Electric 500 Telephone.  At this time I can't post pictures of the inside.  I'm presently in the hospital and my wife brought the phone over with a screwdriver.  A quick check of the handset, caps, transmitter, receiver, bell, network, cover, 311A equalizer, all dated 1950. There's a silver refurbish date (55).  I didn't check the cord dates.  The mounting cord is missing the spade tips.
Zapper

Southernphoneman

This is my 1st non black 302, and i won it just a few minutes ago, paid $89.00 for it, and the photo is not mine but of the sellers, Unbeldi1955, just so i give credit, but i would like to nominate it thank you.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Southernphoneman on April 24, 2016, 06:41:46 PM
This is my 1st non black 302, and i won it just a few minutes ago, paid $89.00 for it, and the photo is not mine but of the sellers, Unbeldi1955, just so i give credit, but i would like to nominate it thank you.

Hmm, I wonder who that could be? ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Russ Kirk

Great buy, I would have paid more than twice that amount.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Southernphoneman

Please if i may, i would like to withdraw this from this competition, and ask that a moderator delete this or an administrator thank you

TelePlay

Quote from: Southernphoneman on April 27, 2016, 09:06:16 PM
Please if i may, i would like to withdraw this from this competition, and ask that a moderator delete this or an administrator thank you

Okay, consider the nomination withdrawn.

Since I am doing the poll for April for Terry, I will  not include it. No need to delete anything. Nice looking phone so leaving it up is something to look at and your request to withdraw the nomination balances that post out.

And, if you want to re-include it in April, you have until April 30th, late that night, to do so by posting a request to do so.

Pourme

I'd like to nominate my "Craigslist Bonanza" I bought on 4/28/16 from a retired 40 year Western Electric employee mostly in the Detroit area. He asked $400 and I didn't argue one bit! The shocker is that this had been on Craigslist for 25 days. He only showed 7 pieces in the ad but brought 26 pieces and 4 framed and matted phone related pieces along with some misc cloth original cordage.

The 1st picture is the picture in the ad. The other pictures includes everything he brought to the parking lot...at the same price!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16127.0

I think I have accurately identified the pieces with the help of "Phone Whisperer"  unbeldi...Thanks!

2 304's, 1 red & 1 Ivory

4 302's, 1- Bakelite '49, 1 Bakelite '46 & 1 Metal black '40

1 NE 6H

5 D1's w/ E1 handsets, 1 '35/'54 Continental, 1 Black '34 extension, 1 Black '35 w/dial, 1 Black '36 extension, 1 Black '37 w/dial

1 Green body only D1

1 G1 Spacesaver w/mount

1 Model VBM8000 Mickey Mouse phone

1 WE DB1330b Deco Tel 5/74

4 B1's (2 B1 handsets), 2 '29 extensions, 1 '30 extension, 1 Unidentified year

1 Kellogg 1919 Wooden wall phone

1 4/29 533a wall phone

1 Unidentified wooden 1914 subset

3 WE 634a subsets, 2 '40, 1 '47
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

unbeldi

I am glad I don't have to compete with that.