News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two really big 302s just ended.

Started by deedubya3800, October 11, 2010, 10:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

A nice Ivory outsells a pristine Pekin Red?  What is the world coming to!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

deedubya3800

Quote from: baldopeacock on October 12, 2010, 08:12:57 AM
Deedubya, if you acquire a later Ivory set, and you notice that same color variance after you've done surface restoration of the plastic, would you mention it?  Meanwhile, congrats.   Those pre-war sets are very cool and definitely the less-common.

If I do, and I hope I do someday, I will. And thanks! :) I figured they were, which is why I had to jump at the chance to own it.

And back to the topic, I looked at the bid history, and both of those top bids for the ivory were placed at the same exact time, three seconds before auction close, by two big-time telephone collectors who are both accustomed to winning virtually everything they want.

Both the 1953 ivory and the 1949 red had a lot of the same bidders. They were both sniped in the last three or four seconds by someone who had not bid earlier. The winner of neither had bid on the other, but the second-highest bidder of each was third-highest on the other. Had the winner in each auction not placed that winning bid, the ivory would have sold for $204.99 and the red would have sold for $304.99. Like we've said before, all it takes is that one other person who really wants it more than anyone else. 8)

Have I mentioned how much I love eBay? :D

deedubya3800

Somebody really loves red. The same person who won the red 302 just won another one for $305. That's $698 for two red 302s. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330481490524 ( dead link 04-13-21 )

deedubya3800

And then this ivory 302 just sold for $79?! Someone should have waited a couple weeks and they might have gotten a much better price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140467190422 ( dead link 04-13-21 )