and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial 999 for emergency

Started by contraste, September 21, 2009, 11:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

contraste

Aimless web surfing found this photo.

bingster

Maybe you're supposed to press "3" nine times.  Or worse yet, press "3" 333 times.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

That's pretty funny....something Jay Leno would show on his Headlines segment.

Phonesrfun

I think our (US) 911 was originally going to be like the UK 999, but they made it 911 so it would not take so long to dial on a rotary phone.  At least that's the way I heard it.  Does the UK still use 999?

-Bill
-Bill G

contraste

Quote from: Phonesrfun on September 21, 2009, 02:10:47 PM
I think our (US) 911 was originally going to be like the UK 999, but they made it 911 so it would not take so long to dial on a rotary phone.  At least that's the way I heard it.  Does the UK still use 999?

-Bill

We do but I think you can dial 911 on mobile (cell) phones.

McHeath

You can use any combination of the 1, 2 and 3 to add up to nine, but you can't press any number more than once.   ;)

bwanna

Quote from: McHeath on September 21, 2009, 08:04:03 PM
You can use any combination of the 1, 2 and 3 to add up to nine, but you can't press any number more than once.   ;)

he' at it again :o
donna

McHeath

Greg G.

999 would probably go to the German Coast Guard.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

bwanna

donna

david@london

1st july is the 78th anniversary of the introduction of the first direct-dial emergency number.

.....extract from wikipedia :

The first emergency number system to be deployed anywhere in the world was in London on 1 July 1937 using the number 999, and this was later extended to cover the entire country. When 999 was dialled, a buzzer sounded and a red light flashed in the exchange to attract an operator's attention.

Southern California Telephone Co. began using 116 as an emergency line for Los Angeles, California in 1946. The emergency number 999 was adopted in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in 1959 at the urging of Stephen Juba, mayor of Winnipeg at the time. The city changed the number to 911 in 1972, in order to be consistent with the newly adopted U.S. emergency number.

CanadianGuy

Yay Winnipeg!

Signed,
A proud Winnipegger