News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Phone & Subset, Now Another Problem. Low Volume.

Started by hemi71x, March 24, 2011, 05:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

I think the handset would have to contain a transmitter element or there wouldn't be any reception at all.  That's how the F1/HA1 element combination works. 

Jim, you're getting close to having this fixed.  Don't give up.  Experts here can help, and the wiring diagrams from Bingster worked perfectly for my 202 and subset.  There's no reason why your phone shouldn't be able to provide you with excellent transmission and reception quality.

The problem is likely related to wiring between the phone and the box.  Make sure all of that matches the 202 dial service diagram, and if there are any terminals in the diagrams that you don't find on your subset, somebody here will be able to figure out which ones to use instead.

Don't give up!  You'll be glad you didn't.
Ralph

bingster

The first thing to do to get the big box in shape is to disconnect all the extraneous wiring that doesn't serve any purpose.  The extra stuff can only complicate matters, and may very well prevent the subset from working on a standard line.  As shown in the photo below, you'll want to:

- remove the short piece of white cable with it's colored conductors,
- remove the three heavy black conductors,
- unscrew the small coil from the base, and disconnect all of it's conductors, wherever they
   terminate.  You'll notice the small coil has a number of conductors cabled together with
   string.  Just follow the cable through the subset, and disconnect each conductor.  You can
   start a little telephone spare parts box, and put the coil in there.

After you've got all that removed, you can connect the wall cord and test it out.  As Terry mentioned, only the red and green conductors in the wall cord are used.  The yellow and black conductors serve no purpose and must not be connected to anything in the subset.  I've drawn red and green lines to where the wall cord's conductors should go--green to L1 and red to L2.
= DARRIN =

hemi71x

bingster
Thank's for that color coded diagram on the picture.
Wish i knew how to do that with my computer, but that's a whole nuther story.
I did take away all those snipped off wires yesterday, and wired my wall wire to the L1 and L2 connections as instructed.
I had the green L1 wire hook up to the black terminal board yesterday.
Now i have them where you told me to hook them up.
Before i disconnect the wires for that 2nd coil, let me see if if what i did works or not on my connection.
I get a good strong dial tone, i can dial out, and can hear the call that i dialed ok.
But i have to wait for a decent hour in the morning before i can call my friends number to see if my speach can be heard, when i dial out.
Its only 6:00 am in the morning right now where i'm at.
"I'll be back" as Arnold would say, later this morning, to report on how it's going.
Thank's a lot.
Jim V.

Adam

Do you have voicemail?  Try calling it and leaving yourself a message.  Then try listening to the message.  That's an easy way to test telephone transmission.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

hemi71x

No, i don't have any voice mail, don't own any cell phones either.
This old dinosaur has two trimline, land line telephones in the house, and that's it, except for these old 202's that im messing around with now.

As suggested, i removed the 2nd coil, that is connected to a 2nd condenser in the subset box.
Didn't have to cut any wires or anything like that, to get them out. I surgically removed everything, and color coded all the terminal connections, if those components ever have to be reinstalled again.

I still have to make a test to see when i call out that my voice can be heard at the other end.
All my friends seem to be gone from their homes today.
Have to wait a little while longer to see if this experiment has worked or not.

rp2813

Heck, just dial "0" and see if the operator can hear you and you can hear him/her.
Ralph

hemi71x

Just got done messing around some more with this subset and phone.
Sorry to report that i haven't had any luck. or success.  >:(
Nobody can hear me when i speak, but i can hear them great.
Plus the phone doesn't "ring" at all on an incoming call.
Thinking it might be the phone itself, or the handset, i hooked up my other 202 to this subset, as a troubleshooting test.
If anything i made it worse. It wouldn't break the dial tone, even though i wired the red, green, black, and very faded yellow, wires the same as i took off the originals.
So now i have the original 202 wired back into the original subset box.
Well, it's 50% working anyway. Get a good dial tone, i can dial out, i can hear them, but they can't hear me, and the bells don't ring.
Now what do i do? Save it for the next electronics recycling drive in Sacramento? Na, i can't do that.
Maybe FEDEX it out to one of you old telephone gurus out there in telephone land, to perform your skills with these old things.

rdelius

Nobody has mentioned this yet but if the 202 has factory wires that are where they should be if I remember properly-
red to R on network
green to gn on network
yellow to L2y on network
black to bk on terminal strip.
red line cord from wall to L1
green line cord to L2y
try this.
There are diagrams on line somewhere
Robby
if you just connect the red and green wires you only put the rec in the circuit.you will not transmit

rp2813

If you've followed Bingster's diagrams and are still having trouble, I don't know what else to advise other than to double and triple check connections at all points against those in the diagrams.

If you can't get transmission to work after all wiring has been confirmed to be correct and you get fed up, you might consider going up a notch to a 302 model.  Everything is contained inside the case and they don't offer anywhere near the wiring problems associated with 102/202 and a subset.  They're also very handsome phones that stay put when you dial them since they have the added weight of the network, coils and ringer assembly inside.  The 302 offers a less dainty look than the oval base models but they do have a larger footprint.  

And for sure there are members here who would be interested in your oval base models.

I am still confident that you'll get what you have working correctly, though.  It sounds like a fairly simple wiring issue.  But -- have you checked the transmitter capsules in the handset?  Maybe you have a bad one, or the contacts inside the handset have been bent and  one of them isn't making contact with the capsule.
Ralph

rp2813

Also, I know that there have been polarity issues reported here (I have experienced them) with model 2500 touch-tone phones that won't break dialtone.  Switching the L1 and L2 connections from the wall will usually fix it.  I don't know if the same applies for rotary phones like yours, but others here can advise.
Ralph

Phonesrfun

Hemi:

I would be glad to get it working for you for no cost except for the fact that you'd have to send it to Walla Walla, Wa both ways.

-Bill G

hemi71x

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 25, 2011, 08:49:41 PM
Hemi:

I would be glad to get it working for you for no cost except for the fact that you'd have to send it to Walla Walla, Wa both ways.

OK, Bill
I'm going to take you up on that suggestion. (offer)
Your only one state away anyway, up nothbound I-5.
But i'm going to pay you for your labors and time.
Can't expect you to perform your services for free.
You have to buy gas, groceries, pay the bills too.
In that case i need your address.
I use the FEDEX guys, as i have an account with them, for my car parts sales, and stuff that i rebuild, then put up for sale.
Jim Valuckas
hemi71x@aol.com is my regular e mail address.

rp2813

Bill,

Since this has been such a puzzler, please let us know what you find and how you fix it.

Thanks,

Ralph
Ralph

Stingo

I hope I'm not interrupting, but I'm new here and have been trying to resolve a similar issue with my 202 (low volume on reception only).

I am using a "newer" 2500 as a subset, wired up according to Bingster's diagram. Everything works as it should, but the receiver volume. It's there but really faint. I have removed both ear piece and mouth piece and cleaned the contact surfaces with a pencil eraser - no change. Any advice here would be helpful. Let me know if you want to see how I wired it all...

Thanks!
~Stingo

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010