News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Soft Plastic G1 Transmitter Cap with Embedded F1 Transmitter Capsule

Started by LarryInMichigan, February 10, 2010, 09:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I am trying to figure out if there is any way to remove the F1 transmitter capsule which is embedded inside of a soft plastic cap from a G1 handset.  All of the soft plastic parts from the phone were moldy, and I am sure that there is plenty of mold between the inside of the cap and the transmitter capsule, but there does not seem to be any way to remove the capsule without destroying the cap.  I cannot imagine how the transmitter was inserted into the cap in the first place.  The cap may have been molded around the transmitter capsule.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Larry

Jim Stettler

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 10, 2010, 09:38:39 PM
I am trying to figure out if there is any way to remove the F1 transmitter capsule which is embedded inside of a soft plastic cap from a G1 handset.  All of the soft plastic parts from the phone were moldy, and I am sure that there is plenty of mold between the inside of the cap and the transmitter capsule, but there does not seem to be any way to remove the capsule without destroying the cap.  I cannot imagine how the transmitter was inserted into the cap in the first place.  The cap may have been molded around the transmitter capsule.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Larry

Larry,
I think your handset is a GF handset.  Is it from a 5302 ?

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

Jim,

Yes it is from a 5302.  Anyway, I just figured out the secret.  I didn't realize that the cap has two parts to it.  I managed to unscrew the inner part from the rest of the cap and remove the transmitter.  As I expected, the inside of the cap is covered with mold.

Larry

Jim Stettler

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 10, 2010, 09:55:05 PM
Jim,

Yes it is from a 5302.  Anyway, I just figured out the secret.  I didn't realize that the cap has two parts to it.  I managed to unscrew the inner part from the rest of the cap and remove the transmitter.  As I expected, the inside of the cap is covered with mold.

Larry

I never realized it is a 2-part cap.  The GF handset was designed to make  a F handset into a G-look.  Your handset or an F is proper to the phone. A true G handset is not.
Jim
You live, You learn,

LarryInMichigan

Jim,

The transmitter cap is made of soft plastic and has an "F" on the front.  There is a plastic ring part, threaded on both inner and outer edges, which screws into the cap, holds the transmitter in place, and provides the threads which screw onto the handset.  That ring was so tightly attached, I didn't realize that it was a separate piece until I bent the cap out of shape enough that the ring started to separate.  After removing the transmitter capsule, I soaked the cap parts in a bleach solution.  Tenite is apparently really good for growing mold.

Larry

Jim Stettler

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 11, 2010, 09:11:02 PM
Jim,

Tenite is apparently really good for growing mold.

Larry
That is probably the reason for the distinctive scent of "soft" plastic.
Jim
You live, You learn,