News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another What's This --> 1A2 five lines to one phone adapter

Started by TelePlay, July 29, 2017, 07:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Spotted on eBay and never seen one before. Not knowing much about key systems allows me to plead ignorance.

Seems to be a way to allow one phone to use any one of 5 lines. No need for a key phone but outgoing only on only one line.

The eBay listing showed the end of the box but nothing else. Is this a WE product or an after market device?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TELEPHONE-PARTS-1A2-ADAPTER-5-LINE-TO-1-LINE-NOS-Vintage-Telephone-/162609891265

poplar1

Kludge to connect a single line device -- answering machine, cordless phone, loud bell, etc. --  to an existing multi-line set.

Some models do not have a selector but instead provide access to only the first line. At least one I encountered caused a false A-lead
which made the line/busy lamp stay lit even though the line was idle. (Customer reported that her phone [564] was no longer ringing.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RB

yup.
That would, if used as a tap, be installed at the wall plug, then the phone plugged into it.
then select which line was your shared "FAX" line, and the fax plugged into the box. "looks like an rj11 on the end"?
It would have been impossible to tap a plug like those.
they were just too busy. and not intended to be played with.
I have also seen one of those 25 pair, or was it 50???, plugs with one rj11 in the end of the hood.
similar, but would not pass lines out past the plug, so no phone at that drop.
I bet everybody wanted a tap box like that back in the 80's 8)

AE_Collector

The version like an Amphenol plug with an RJ11 in the end of the hood was primarily used for conversion from 1A2 phones to PBX locals as well at the end of the 1A2 era (its ended?) for quick conversion to digital key systems with 4 or 6 wire RJ cords. We called them "Amp Adapters".

Terry

RB

Thanks for clearing that up Terry.
I have seen much over the years, but had no tech info to assoc with it.'
It was just stuff onsight when I was there for an install.
Got to see a lot of old stuff diggin around in basements, ceilings, and closets!
Wish I would have had the foresight to snag some of it when it was bein upgraded.

AE_Collector

You're preaching to the wrong guy! The stuff I've junked over the years! Though I have to admit to being enough of a pack rat to still keep too much. Right up until I retired in 2013 I always made every attempt to get into buildings main Telephone room even if I didn't really need to for the job I was there to do. One never knows what might be collecting dust in the corner of a phone room.

Terry

Babybearjs

I remember Radio Shack selling them.... Handy little gadget!
John

RB

That was a Rat shack item??? ???
would not have guessed that...