"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction (230 Cancelled: Listing Terminated) 1882 Gilliland Magneto Telephone

Started by TelePlay, September 24, 2016, 07:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Really?

I need help in figuring this eBay page out, determining what it is saying. I have my opinion but would like a few replies before making a decision.

The eBay listing this morning says " This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available." and the listing now says

Ended:  Sep 28, 2016 , 8:40PM
Starting bid:  US $100.00     [ 0 bids ]
Price:  US $1,295.00

The bid history is also posted below.

What happened and what should I do, give a win to Fabius, the highest guesser, or cancel the contest because of the way it ended.

I can go either way except I am not sure what happened with the auction. Did it really sell for $1,295? If so, I can not find it in the eBay sold listings anywhere from over $10,000 down to $250, a bit less than the highest bid when the auction was ended early.

It might be too early soon to have the sale listed, but that does not make sense either.

What should I do? Give a win to Fabius" or cancel the contest?

Thanks for helping out with a reply as to what happened and/or voting in the poll question.

wds

Interesting - it was listed not too long ago for a much lower price and it didn't sell.  I've seen this many times, one week you can't give it away on Ebay, the next week goes for a much higher price.   
Dave

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on September 29, 2016, 07:53:08 AM.

I can go either way except I am not sure what happened with the auction. Did it really sell for $1,295? If so, I can not find it in the eBay sold listings anywhere from over $10,000 down to $250, a bit less than the highest bid when the auction was ended early.

It might be too early soon to have the sale listed, but that does not make sense either.

I believe it would show up on completed items only if it was a case of "best offer accepted" -- meaning an official offer through Ebay.
If the seller sold it "off the books", then it's not going to show up, the same as if he had ended the item because it was "no longer available" or "broken" or "lost."

The fact that it says "Price $1295" does not mean that it sold. Here is another example, slightly different because it was a BIN rather than a reserve auction, but it has been relisted. The ended auction says "Price $3,335" and the relist says "Price $3,335" followed by "Buy It Now."

(Note, I had to include the extra characters in the link in order to show the "original" listing rather than the abbreviated "completed" auction.)

Old:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-candle-stick-phone-10-tapered-shaft-Original-nickel-/222227943046

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-candle-stick-phone-10-tapered-shaft-Original-nickel-/222227943046?hash=item33bdd14e86%3Ag%3ACSMAAOSwgyxWVn5y&nma=true&si=MR8jX20VbldLqpvsyM51HS2Pp08%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

New:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-candle-stick-phone-10-tapered-shaft-Original-nickel-/361742942574

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Fabius

My completed item search brings up only the canceled auction. It appears the seller cancalled the bids then cancelled the auction. What is starnge is that I bid on this item but received no notice that my bid was cancelled nor that the item sold. No notice of any type.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

poplar1

Quote from: Fabius on September 29, 2016, 02:45:49 PM
My completed item search brings up only the canceled auction. I appears the seller called the bids then cancelled the auction. What is starnge is that I bid on this item but received no notice that my bid was cancelled nor that the item sold. No notice of any type.

It's true that a seller can cancel one person's bid, or bid of some or all bidders by using this form:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CancelBidShow

However, it is much simpler to just "end item" from the "active listings" page in seller hub. This automatically cancels all bids, and the ended listing will show 0 bids on the first page, and will show just the original listing prices.

Edit: After canceling all the bids, the seller then goes to seller hub, active listings, and scrolls down to "end item."

End My Listing Early

Select a reason for ending your listing early. The reason will appear on the Closed Item page.

The item is no longer available for sale.
              There was an error in the listing.
              There was an error in starting price, Buy It Now price, or reserve price.
              The item was lost or broken.

END ITEM

{

If you click on the bidders tab on the listing that was ended early, you will see the original (MAXIMUM?) bid amounts. If you were one of the bidders, it will show (to you and the seller only) the reason, which is usually something like "Bidder ended auction and canceled all bids." Again, the cancelation of the bids is automatically done by Ebay in this case, as soon as the seller clicks the "END ITEM" tab.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on September 29, 2016, 05:29:41 PM
If you click on the bidders tab on the listing that was ended early, you will see the original (MAXIMUM?) bid amounts. If you were one of the bidders, it will show (to you and the seller only) the reason, which is usually something like "Bidder ended auction and canceled all bids."

Yes, that is the case. I was in at $105 so this shows the list and the one line that explains to me why it was cancelled. Posting for those who did not bid can see what poplar1 was explaining in the last post.

TelePlay

Once again, in the immortal words of Queen, "another one bites the dust . . ."

At 18:40 PDT on 9/28, the seller ended the auction with the reason used as "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

The poll started asking the question of what to do resulted in an overwhelming response to cancel the contest.

As such, this contest is hereby cancelled with no winner.

Thanks to everyone for playing.

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on September 29, 2016, 02:45:49 PM
It appears the seller cancalled the bids then cancelled the auction. What is starnge is that I bid on this item but received no notice that my bid was cancelled nor that the item sold. No notice of any type.

As an FYI, I just received an email from eBay dated [September 28, 2016 9:40 PM] on 9/30 saying that auction was cancelled. I still don't see it in the completed listings so it must have been sold outside of eBay, if it sold. I've had email show up a day or two after it was sent from large senders, as this seems to be the case.

eBay Bid Cancellation Notice - Item

"Dear eBay Community Member,

The bid that you entered for the item (252554993620) has been cancelled. You can view the reason provided for the cancellation by selecting the (bid history) link from the individual item page.

Please be cautious if you are contacted about purchasing this item after the bid has been cancelled and as always avoid paying for your eBay item using instant wire transfer services through Western Union or MoneyGram as these payment methods are unsafe when paying someone you do not know.

Regards,

eBay"