News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 35

Started by wds, April 06, 2017, 02:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Here's one that slipped under the radar.  And I'm quite happy it did.

http://tinyurl.com/kflbrrm

Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on April 06, 2017, 02:35:41 PM
Here's one that slipped under the radar.  And I'm quite happy it did.

http://tinyurl.com/kflbrrm

Saw it.  But it is an AE 50, not a 35.

The price is probably about right, given the missing hook switch plunger and overall condition.

wds

35 shell, possibly a 50 bottom.  Hard to tell if the button is missing or just stuck.  Either way I have all the parts I need to make it go again. 
Dave

stub

wds,
         SWEET  !!!!!!!!!!  Post more pics when you get it home !   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jack Ryan

As far as I know there was no version of the AE50 without side vents so it does look like an AE35 case on an AE50 base with a Type 41 handset.

Keep looking - you might find enough parts to complete it.

Jack

Doug Rose

Nice find Dave. When I found mine Terry commented that there were a lot of 35s out there with 50 bases.  That's what yours looks like. Real nice, one of my favorite phones....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

unbeldi

It is the base arrangement, the electrical circuit, and the handset that make the 35 a 35, and the 50 a 50, not the cover.

From the markings of the set, this is an early Type 50,  made before 1943 at the latest.
The dial was added later.  It had a 50 Hz frequency ringer originally.

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on April 06, 2017, 06:43:53 PM
As far as I know there was no version of the AE50 without side vents so it does look like an AE35 case on an AE50 base with a Type 41 handset.
The 50 was described as having the sound grill on the sides already in the earliest catalog of 1940, which was probably its year of introduction. Initially AE claimed its design against the same 1934 design patent as they did for the type 35, but later, when using patent decals, they dropped the reference to any design patent for the 50.

stub

wds,
        Here's a pic of both of the bases ,  the 35 is in AE Catalog 4055-A , June ,1937 ,pg 11 -     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on April 06, 2017, 09:02:58 PM
The 50 was described as having the sound grill on the sides already in the earliest catalog of 1940, which was probably its year of introduction. Initially AE claimed its design against the same 1934 design patent as they did for the type 35, but later, when using patent decals, they dropped the reference to any design patent for the 50.

Thanks Unbeldi. I know that but over time, even though I think I know something, I have learned not to make categorical statements.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Lets not get too hung up.

The base is AE 50 which pretty much defines the telephone. However, it has an AE 35 case which is a good starting point - or finishing point - if an AE 35 base can be found. An AE 35 with a broken case might be cheaply found.

As it stands, this phone is an AE 50 with an AE 35 case - but it has potential.

Regards
Jack

Ktownphoneco

As a point of general information, I have an A.E. catalog dated July 1939, with a notice that the prices contained in the catalog went into effect in June 1939.     It lists the type 35, and starts off the telephone's description with  ... "A new standard of beauty .......  ".
I've converted the page from "pdf" to "jpeg", and attached it here.    Click the picture for an enlarged image.

Jeff Lamb

stub

I agree with you Mr. Ryan on the AE 50 base with 35 case. I was just showing wds the difference in the two bases. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jack Ryan

Quote from: stub on April 06, 2017, 10:42:56 PM
I agree with you Mr. Ryan on the AE 50 base with 35 case. I was just showing wds the difference in the two bases. stub

I appreciate that - no problem at all.

Jack