News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 H1 non dial phone 1939.

Started by CDK, April 11, 2017, 06:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDK

Hi, I just bought a WE 302 non dial phone from 1939 it contains no network or ringer, but I've got an external ringer/ network box. The ringer box is a western electric the model is 685A the date code is 3-73. Is there a schematic for both the phone and ringer box. Can anyone explain how to hookup my phone to the ringer box? I will try to get pictures.

Pvt-telco

Please, if you would show a photo of the inside of the telephone(the 302).I need to see something to be able to advise

CDK

Inside of telephone.

Pvt-telco

Its just my opinion, but it seems that the only thing you would need is the 101A induction coil, even with out the ringer, thats all you would need for transmit and receive

CDK

Quote from: Pvt-telco on April 11, 2017, 07:17:58 PM
Its just my opinion, but it seems that the only thing you would need is the 101A induction coil, even with out the ringer, thats all you would need for transmit and receive

I do have a ringer box with network, the problem is knowing how to hook it up?

Pvt-telco

Quote from: CDK on April 11, 2017, 07:22:02 PM
I do have a ringer box with network, the problem is knowing how to hook it up?

Understandable, but I am just not sure if that particular one would , the 685,, would be the right one, there are 302" out there that are hooked to to subsets but i have not seen them hooked up to a more modern 685, maybe someone else can adivise, Poplar 1 perhaps.

CDK

Quote from: Pvt-telco on April 11, 2017, 07:31:20 PM
Understandable, but I am just not sure if that particular one would , the 685,, would be the right one, there are 302" out there that are hooked to to subsets but i have not seen them hooked up to a more modern 685, maybe someone else can adivise, Poplar 1 perhaps.

Who is poplar 1?

unbeldi

The telephones that look like a 302 that are connected to a subset are usually 250-type telephones.  The subsets of these were originally used with s candlestick, or perhaps a hand telephone desk set, and when the telephone company wanted to provide something more modern, they left the subset in place and connected an empty 250 to it, performing simply the function of a handset stand.  But those were typically wooden subsets.

Combining this 302 housing with a 685A subset, while possible, seems a bit awkward.
You really just need a 101A induction coil and a ringer, both can be cheaply obtained and are in great supply, and the wiring is simpler.   To connect the set to the 685A requires at least a four-conductor mounting cord if you want to use a minimal set of features of the 425 network inside the 685A. An original four-conductor mounting cord probably costs more than original induction coil plus ringer.

We have many topics on the forum that have diagrams for both a 302 and a 685A. Some are in the wiring diagram section.

Victor Laszlo

What mounting code is imprinted on the inside rear of the housing?  AA1 or H1?

I would imagine that from a collector's standpoint, a rare AA1 in its original, as issued, condition would be more valuable than one converted 80 years later to an H1.

True, that the "missing" parts are readily available to make it into a 302, but subsets are also easy to find, in order to keep it original.  302's are still ubiquitous even after all these years.

TelePlay

This is an example of a ringer that would fit into the phone, should you decide to go that way. If you didn't not know what you needed, this is the type of ringer to look for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHOICE-ONE-VINTAGE-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-302-Ringer-for-Telephone-B1A-or-B3A-WORK-/201685833620

There are others on eBay and from other members on the forum if you ask for one that cover a range of prices.

I counted at least 5 in this eBay search

Pvt-telco

Here is an eBay add for a 101A induction coil with a price that is pretty fair, https://www.ebay.com/itm/142284659231/ at 5.95

unbeldi

Attached is a diagram for the Western Electric 685A subset.

PS:  For our purpose here, disconnect the slate-brown wire from terminal C on the 425B network and store.

unbeldi

I drew a new circuit diagram for you for the rewired 302 to connect it to a 685A subset.
I see that your telephone set doesn't have a dial, this diagram is drawn with a dial, though.  [PS: I added a second diagram without dial]

Basically, the 302 has to be rewired like a 202 telephone.

In the diagram:
DP = dial pulse switch
ON = off-normal switch
HS = hook switch

The 685A subset diagram shown in the previous post shows a 5-conductor cord (or local wiring as indicated in the diagram).
The wires to use start at terminals R, GN, B, and L2, and go to R, GN, B, and Y terminals shown in the new 302 diagram.

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on April 12, 2017, 08:04:50 PM
Attached is a diagram for the Western Electric 685A subset.

If connected this way, the line would be permanently off-hook. L1 is strapped to RR, and L2 is strapped to C in the diagram.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on April 12, 2017, 08:39:15 PM
If connected this way, the line would be permanently off-hook. L1 is strapped to RR, and L2 is strapped to C in the diagram.

Ah, you are right.  I just grabbed a standard diagram without looking at it.
[PS:  I don't know how 'standard' this diagram is; I don't have the reference for it handy.]

The connection from the line to the C terminal has to be disconnected.

Here is what the overall diagram should look like, without the ringing bridge.