News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 53 - 1956 WE 500 in Yellow

Started by bingster, August 16, 2010, 03:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

That is the appropriate clear Lucite open center finger wheel.  Doug they did refurbish the #7 dials.  That one has two markings, one in the upper left hand corner that I can't decipher.  It looks like there is a 57 stamping too, which may be when THAT dial was repaired.  Whether or not that dial was put into that phone is not known.  It's not uncommon to find changed components in these phones, as we all know.  I don' see the white dial housing that Bill mentioned. 

Wallphone

Dennis, Maybe the seller took a dial from an Ivory housing and put it in the Yellow one that went with this phone.
Dougpav

bingster

That's what I'm thinking happened.  It could be that this phone is like my '57 U500, and had it's dial replaced with a much later dial (in my case the phone was mostly original except for the 1970s dial).  Perhaps the seller, or a collector before him, replaced it with a dial that was closer to the age of the phone.  We'll never know, I guess.
= DARRIN =

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Bill Cahill

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 17, 2010, 08:17:47 AM
That is the appropriate clear Lucite open center finger wheel.  Doug they did refurbish the #7 dials.  That one has two markings, one in the upper left hand corner that I can't decipher.  It looks like there is a 57 stamping too, which may be when THAT dial was repaired.  Whether or not that dial was put into that phone is not known.  It's not uncommon to find changed components in these phones, as we all know.  I don' see the white dial housing that Bill mentioned. 

They show a bottom picture of it.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

KeithB

It's got seven hours remaining, the highest bid is $31, and the reserve is still not met.  Wonder if anyone will get into a bidding war later today?

Jester

Considering the color & the gray handset cord, it's guaranteed to go higher than $31.00.  It will be interesting to see how high.
Stephen

bingster

The auction is over, the reserve was met (at $160.49), and Bill Cahill is this week's winner!  Congratulations, Bill.  I didn't think you stood a chance with your low bid, but you were right!
= DARRIN =

AE_Collector

Same buyer as the dark blue 500 that recently went on ebaY.  "trainavenue"

Terry

Bill Cahill

Simply put, the guy just paid big bucks for the more minty blue one.
While the yeller phone was quite nice, there were a couple of items I didn't like, as you know. I figured, he just spent alot, bad economy, and, the yellow phone wasn't quite as nice.
Made sense to me. Thanks.
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Kenny C

who knows the buyer may have had a yellow dial from that exact month and year just waiting for a phone
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010