News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 56 - American Bell Co. Wall Phone

Started by bingster, October 06, 2010, 03:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

Our next auction contest centers around a rare old beauty.  It's an American Bell Telephone Company wall phone.  I don't know anything about this particular set, but I think we can all spot a prize telephone when we see one.  This one has a few problems--missing parts, bad refinish, but it's also got a lot going for it.  And a Mr. Helpful (who actually gave his name!) says it's from 1877.  What do we think this one will bring at auction's end?  Get your guesses in before the auction's final day, and you could be the next winner!

S C O R E B O A R D

$115.00 - mienaichizu
$145.00 - Kidphone
$275.00 - Brinybay
$289.89 - Dan
$290.79 - Bill Cahill
$377.99 - Dennis Markham (Winner!)
Sold for $393.99
$400.00 - Kennyc1955
$401.00 - HarrySmith
$445.00 - KeithB
$513.00 - Jim S.
$750.00 - bingster
$788.00 - Craig T
$825.00 - Russkirk
$1200.00 - cchaven
$2000.00 - Dan/Panther
$10,000.00 - McHeath
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on October 06, 2010, 03:37:46 AM
Our next auction contest centers around a rare old beauty.  It's an American Bell Telephone Company wall phone.  ... Mr. Helpful (who actually gave his name!) says it's from 1877. 

I found Gerry elsewhere on ebay, he always gives his name, so I don't think it's the same guy.  He's not on the TCI roster list either.  http://tinyurl.com/29gqhud

Put me down for $75.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

The bid at the time of the post was $82.  Have another guess in mind?
= DARRIN =

HarrySmith

I really don't know about this phone but I will guess $401.00
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

KeithB

Doug Rose

Quote from: bingster on October 06, 2010, 03:37:46 AM
Our next auction contest centers around a rare old beauty.  It's an American Bell Telephone Company wall phone.  I don't know anything about this particular set, but I think we can all spot a prize telephone when we see one.  This one has a few problems--missing parts, bad refinish, but it's also got a lot going for it.  And a Mr. Helpful (who actually gave his name!) says it's from 1877.  What do we think this one will bring at auction's end?  Get your guesses in before the auction's final day, and you could be the next winner!

S C O R E B O A R D
With no mouthpiece on this phone, I can't see this being 1877 as it had to have a handset (not a receiver) with a receiver and transmitter in one.  But who am I I to question Mr. Helpful. My guess would be the early 20's. Really nice phone, but I am curious what kind of receiver it had. With the steer horn hookswitch, maybe an E1? Put me in for $145....Doug
Kidphone

Wallphone

Look in Dooner's yellow book and you will see many early phones where the transmitter is in a separate box (like a Blake). This one probably used something like a long pole receiver. This box is just one part of the phone.

Doug Rose

Doug....good observation.  I never even considered this as a second box. Maybe Mr Helpful is right after all...other Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

I think it is only 1/3 of the phone set-up.  Probably had a long pole, Blake type transmitter and a battery tray or box.
Put me down for $513.00 A higher closing price wouldn't surprise me.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Wallphone

Thanks Doug, the Blake's have been going for around $3000 lately, and if this date is correct then this was made only one year after the telephone was invented and should blow that number out of the water.
The last time I saw something this old it was a "Fixer upper" phone that went for $21,100.00.
I'll bid a dollar more than the highest bid. (I don't think I can do that)

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

Quote from: Wallphone on October 06, 2010, 02:05:10 PM
I'll bid a dollar more than the highest bid. (I don't think I can do that)
No, you have to select a number. ;)
= DARRIN =