"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this part called? -> AE40 Lift

Started by EdTel, November 15, 2015, 11:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

Quote from: unbeldi on November 16, 2015, 02:15:58 PM
Yes, all of these metal parts came in chromed or black-enameled versions.
But it seems the plungers were always chrome?

Look at the first picture in the post. The plungers look black to me. I don't remember seeing many of those. Funny that it would have a chrome fingerwheel and not chrome plungers. I have my aunt's AE40 that hasn't been touched since it was taken out of service in the 1970s and it has the reverse of this--chrome plungers, a party line switchhook and black handhold and fingerwheel.

Our AE40 when I was a kid had a chrome handhold and plungers and black everything else, with no metal bands on the handset of any type. Just black Bakelite. I was always amazed at how cold the chrome parts of those phones felt when I used phones at other people's houses and the doctor's office.

Evidently it was a mix or match kind of thing and you could get any combination of chrome parts.
Jonathan

wds

No, the red circle is not a hole for the handle.  Just some dirt - that picture was taken before I cleaned up the phone.  I've had several of these with no holes for the butler handle.  Look at this picture - you can see the actual hole is in a total different location.
Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on November 16, 2015, 02:45:54 PM
No, the red circle is not a hole for the handle.  Just some dirt - that picture was taken before I cleaned up the phone.  I've had several of these with no holes for the butler handle.  Look at this picture - you can see the actual hole is in a total different location.
Ok, thanks for the clarification.  [PS: picture withdrawn after this clarification, to streamline the thread.]

Interesting that the holes in this set with the handle indeed are in a different location, just behind the plungers, whereas in my pictured set they are before.
Also yours is missing the metal saddles, but it does appear to have black plungers.
Strike that about the metal, I think it is there in yours, just without paint.

wds

Also notice the black plungers.  I believe these are bakelite.  I will double check them when I get home tonight.
Dave

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on November 16, 2015, 10:58:00 AM
Are you sure that the handset "never" had metal bands?  I think I have seen or found barn-fresh set(s) without bands, that seemed never touched by 'scavengers'.  The catalogs certainly all indicate the bands.

I have never seen a Type 41 handset without bands and the description of the Type 41 from 1940 implies that the bands are always present. The spare part catalogues don't show bands at all; I assume that the bands were not available as a separate part.

I haven't taken much notice but I would think that if the fixed Lift Handle were fitted, there would be no provision for the Butler handle. I'll make a point of checking in future.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: wds on November 16, 2015, 01:25:17 PM
I've had several of the model 40's with no handle and no provision for a butler handle.  I think these are very early models before the lift handle came out. 

Thanks Dave, I had not seen an AE 40 configured like that (without Butler holes).

Hack

wds

I checked the phone again, and the black plungers are bakelite.  Also, on those holes for the butler handle - if the holes in my phone were any farther forward, the handle would not be able to lay flat.  Not the best picture, but you can see that the handle just barely clears the phone - move the handle forward and the handle would either not go in the hole, or while in the hole it would not lay flat on the back of the phone.  Must have had a different handle to accommodate the holes closer to the front?

Also, a better picture of the phone with no hole for the butler handle - after being cleaned.
Dave

Jack Ryan

Quote from: wds on November 16, 2015, 07:14:38 PM
Also, on those holes for the butler handle - if the holes in my phone were any farther forward, the handle would not be able to lay flat.  Not the best picture, but you can see that the handle just barely clears the phone - move the handle forward and the handle would either not go in the hole, or while in the hole it would not lay flat on the back of the phone.  Must have had a different handle to accommodate the holes closer to the front?

Perhaps another handle was tried or perhaps the blocks are mounted backwards. I just checked one of mine and the holes are at the rear (no handle).

Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on November 16, 2015, 07:41:03 PM
Quote from: wds on November 16, 2015, 07:14:38 PM
Also, on those holes for the butler handle - if the holes in my phone were any farther forward, the handle would not be able to lay flat.  Not the best picture, but you can see that the handle just barely clears the phone - move the handle forward and the handle would either not go in the hole, or while in the hole it would not lay flat on the back of the phone.  Must have had a different handle to accommodate the holes closer to the front?

Perhaps another handle was tried or perhaps the blocks are mounted backwards. I just checked one of mine and the holes are at the rear (no handle).

Jack

Hmm, interesting.   Is it easy to remove the metal saddles? It never occurred to me to try that until now.

wds

Notice the unpainted area around the plunger - could it be that some other type of handle was mounted instead of the butler handle?
Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on November 16, 2015, 08:12:16 PM
Notice the unpainted area around the plunger - could it be that some other type of handle was mounted instead of the butler handle?

I was going to ask you about those areas, because they don't look like ordinary wear.
The handles I have observed seem to replace the entire saddle.

Somehow it still seems to me that there is something missing, perhaps another layer of metal that has rounded corners?

PS:  Terri posted some comments about the construction in this topic, where he states that sometimes one can find sets that have only the "plunger block", a zinc cast piece for the plunger holes.

I think perhaps this what you have there.

He also showed a picture of static lift handle that looks like the pivoted one, but stands up permanently.

EdTel

Well that's interesting, and that's probably it.  there's a couple of holes next to the receiver buttons that look like it would fit this handle perfectly.  I had just assumed that it would take a handle/lift like the one in my picture....learn something new every day.  Thanks!

Quote from: Jack Ryan on November 16, 2015, 12:43:54 AM
Here is the replacement Butler handle

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221893539831

Regards
Jack

EdTel

It looked from the rub marks that there was something there, but it didn't make sense to me just how a standard lift handle would fit over the receiver cradle.  But the butler handle?  That makes sense.   I had no idea that these phones came with 'options', interesting how times have changed.

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 16, 2015, 08:18:01 AM
The AE40s were ranked a bit like cars, with different luxury options. The most basic version of the AE40 without any luxury options would have had a black painted fingerwheel, straight handset cord (no "Extensicord"), no handset bands, and no lift like yours. I actually have one that desperately needs repair without any options, just cut-and-dry utility-based.

I think the most luxurious version would have had a Butler's Handle in place of the lift, an Extensicord, and 24 karat gold plated trim (includes fingerwheel, either Butler's Handle or lift, and handset bands).

So the part you're looking for may not have even been installed in your phone in the first place. There should be two metal filler pieces in both cradles that replace the lift on your set. They would probably be painted black, so seeing them is trickier than that other chrome lift in the picture.

EdTel

Yep, that's exactly what my AE40 that is missing the lift looks like.  Spot on.

Quote from: unbeldi on November 16, 2015, 01:21:00 PM
Here are two of the lift features of the AE 40. The set was manufactured between 1955 and 1958, by my 'guess'.

Shown are the molded grip features in the sides of the cradle posts, as well as the holes in the metal saddles on each cradle recess, I suppose they could be called a fulcrum.

EdTel

The buttons on my phone that has the handle are not chromed, but the ones on the phone without the handle do have chrome.  Having said that though, I could not say whether the unchromed ones are original or not, but they are functional. 

Amazing how much I have learned in one simple post.  I think I'm going to like this forum  :D

Quote from: unbeldi on November 16, 2015, 02:15:58 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 16, 2015, 02:10:56 PM
EdTel;
The phone I have has the same lift handle as yours, but not chromed.
D/P
Yes, all of these metal parts came in chromed or black-enameled versions.
But it seems the plungers were always chrome?