News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

American Electric wall phone

Started by 1930, February 26, 2014, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This has been buggin me since purchase, did this phone originally have batteries, I am assuming this is what went down here.

Are they still avail, I understand that they would be useless and only for show but I NEED to find a set. What might they look like? I have read somewhere that there is a print avail on-line somewhere that I can copy and paste to my computer. It is an identical example of an old battery label. Would that help me?

Why batteries? How did these phones originally work mechanically?
My name is Jason Anderson, I am an avid collector of early Dodge Brother/ Graham Brother car/ Truck literature. Have anything to trade or sell?

I know the deal in the rear in the mag. Not sure what else things are?
My name is Jason Anderson, I am an avid collector of early Dodge Brother/ Graham Brother car/ Truck literature. Have anything to trade or sell?

Receiver?

I pulled the cap off the end, brass deal in there, looks complete, I dont see any obvious missing parts not that I know what I am looking at.

stub

Here's all I could find on your phone.  stub    left click on pic to enlarge it.
Kenneth Stubblefield

poplar1

"Form 43B 5M 12-17"---does that mean 5,000 copies were printed in December 1917?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

stub

You can find batteries on e-bay sometimes.  stub

David, I don't have a clue!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

A standard 6-volt battery would work, even if it wouldn't look authentic. 

I didn't notice a mention in this thread that this phone was designed for local battery service, so to be useful as it is, it needs to be connected to other LB phones.

Larry

stub

Didn't Keystone have these made for them by Am. E ?    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Sargeguy

So it looks as if this model, unlike the Western Electric equivalent 317, is local battery only. 

• The terminals on the top hold fuses, they are a lightning arrestor that protects the phone (and person speaking on it) from electrocal damage if lightning strikes the telephone wires

• The two coils that ring the bell are called a ringer

• The thing in front of the magneto is the hookswitch

• Replica batteries that use D-Cells are available on eBay in telephone>pre-1940 secTION

• Batteries provided the current necessary to carry sound over wires, they were either inside the phone (local) or at the Central Office (common)

• You should be able to crank the magneto without doing any damage.  It should ring the ringer.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Quote from: stub on February 28, 2014, 08:15:58 AM
        Here's all I could find on your phone.  stub    left click on pic to enlarge it.
Thanks very much, is that specific to my phone? How did you find it? I do not see any notations on document that give any references so that is why I ask.

Quote from: stub on February 28, 2014, 10:44:34 AM
         You can find batteries on e-bay sometimes.  stub

David, I don't have a clue!   stub
Would you happen to have a picture of a real live battery. Id like to find a set if possible. Are the batteries necessary for phone operation and why?

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 28, 2014, 10:49:08 AM
A standard 6-volt battery would work, even if it wouldn't look authentic. 

I didn't notice a mention in this thread that this phone was designed for local battery service, so to be useful as it is, it needs to be connected to other LB phones.

Larry
Thanks Larry but what do you mean by local battery service and is it safe to assume LB means Local battery.

Can you elaborate on making it more useful?

Quote from: stub on February 28, 2014, 11:02:45 AM
Didn't Keystone have these made for them by Am. E ?    stub
What is Keystone?

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 28, 2014, 01:00:36 PM
So it looks as if this model, unlike the Western Electric equivalent 317, is local battery only. 

• The terminals on the top hold fuses, they are a lightning arrestor that protects the phone (and person speaking on it) from electrocal damage if lightning strikes the telephone wires

• The two coils that ring the bell are called a ringer

• The thing in front of the magneto is the hookswitch

• Replica batteries that use D-Cells are available on eBay in telephone>pre-1940 secTION

• Batteries provided the current necessary to carry sound over wires, they were either inside the phone (local) or at the Central Office (common)

• You should be able to crank the magneto without doing any damage.  It should ring the ringer.

The terminals on the top hold fuses, they are a lightning arrestor that protects the phone (and person speaking on it) from electrocal damage if lightning strikes the telephone wires  Got it, will these need to be used still
The two coils that ring the bell are called a ringer ................Ok so I have Bells and a Ringer

The thing in front of the magneto is the hookswitch...................... Makes sense, so than that contraptions is called the hook

Replica batteries that use D-Cells are available on eBay in telephone>pre-1940 secTION ........................Like to find a color picture of the correct original batteries so that I can find as close as possible duplicates

Batteries provided the current necessary to carry sound over wires, they were either inside the phone (local) or at the Central Office (common) .....................Great so how do they fit in today with my plans of hopefully being able to use this phone?

You should be able to crank the magneto without doing any damage.  It should ring the ringer. .............But how about damage to myself, is there any one area I need to not be touching while cranking. I know an automotive magneto will provide quite a shock

G-Man

The photo shows what is most likely a slightly older version of your set. 
While "close" some of the differences include the use of the hinges for part of the electrical circuit and the line terminals are located within the set unlike yours which connect the outside line via exposed binding post. Also, the induction coil is mounted in a slightly different location.
The [local] batteries are used to power the transmitter and should not exceed 3-volts so as not to "fry" it.
If you want to use your set on a modern common battery line, some modifications will be necessary.
IIRC, Keystone was another telephone manufacturer/assembler that used parts made by American and was eventually absorbed by them.