News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Federal Telephone and Radio Corporation deskset

Started by tubaman, November 10, 2018, 07:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

Anyone know anything about this one on eBay right now.
Looks a bit like a WE 302, clearly isn't one.
I might take a punt if it doesn't get much interest.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-USA-Black-Bakelite-Telephone-Classic-FEDERAL-RADIO-CORPORATION/143001296772

"A VINTAGE BAKELITE TELEPHONE FROM THE USA BY THE FEDERAL TELEPHONE AND RADIO CORPORATION. HAS AGE WARE MARKS MINER DAMAGE TO BACK PHOTO 12 .///////// NOT TESTED SO SELLING FOR SPARES REPAIR. /////////////// PLEASE LOOK AT ALL PHOTOS.///////////// I HAVE MORE TO LIST.///////////////////"
:)

Doug Rose

Federal phones do resemble a WE 302. They are a very cool set, someone on the Forum just gave away a dial Federal set recently. I would go for it if it was me.....Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

Thanks Guys - I'll definitely be putting a bid in!

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on November 10, 2018, 09:58:56 AM
Thanks Guys - I'll definitely be putting a bid in!

I didn't bid on this when I read your interest - one bid got it - I hope it was you?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

It sold for a cheap price.  I hope that the "miner damage" is not too serious, but I would expect that a miner could inflict some serious damage with his pick axe or the like ;D.  Also, it's not been "teasted", which I assume has something to do with being used at tea time ::).

Larry

tubaman

Quote from: FABphones on November 11, 2018, 03:59:37 PM
I didn't bid on this when I read your interest - one bid got it - I hope it was you?

Thanks FABphones that was really nice of you.  :)

And yes, it was me.
Hopefully it's a good one.

Larry, the 'miner damage' is a small chip by one of the cords on the back (you can see it in the photo of the back).
I've sent some packing instructions, so fingers crossed it'll arrive in the same condition as the pictures.

FABphones

Yay! (and Phew!) I'm glad you got it. Really nice phone. It will probably be a long time before another of those come up in the UK.

Re the slight nick out of the back, if it was me I would tidy it up with a little black Milliput. It will give it some strength, help stop any damage from expanding, and won't be too visible to the untrained eye.

Add photos to this thread once you've had a chance to get it gleaming!!!!!!  :D

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

QuoteLarry, the 'miner damage' is a small chip by one of the cords on the back (you can see it in the photo of the back).
Yes, I saw that.  Those miners can be rough on phones ;).  I also would repair that section with Milliput and also apply super glue to the inside of any cracks which might be radiating outward from there to keep them from spreading.  The bakelite on these phones is rather thick, so they are not especially fragile.

The one really unfortunate thing about these phones is that there is very little travel in the hook switch and plunger, so it is easy to place the handset into the cradle without properly "hanging-up" the phone.

There is a discussion about the one I bought years ago here: forum link.

Larry

tubaman

The Federal has arrived and I'm really happy with it.  I'm even going to try its luck in Find of the Month!
It's in good shape - the damage at the rear is actually part of a knockout that is chipped out.
The dial blank is a little chipped where the card goes but it's still quite presentable.
Cords are good and look original, and the interior is untouched - just how I like them.
The modular design of the interior parts seems very modern for the 1940's.
The only date I can see is on the transmitter - 2/42 - sounds about right?
I've put it on my line tester and it works just as it should.

Larry - I see what you mean about the hook switch - if you don't place the handset firmly down it doesn't always push down the plungers. Not the best design I've seen.

LarryInMichigan

A really nice example of this phone just appeared for sale here in the USA: ebay link for $25 plus shipping.

Larry

19and41

Looked up Federal tel. and radio on Wikipedia.  I thought it became part of IT&T.  Interesting history of both it and IT&T.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke