News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE302 Will not break dial tone

Started by jholland, January 03, 2014, 08:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

I must admit, this has been a challenge.  Let us know what happens on someone else's line.  :)
-Bill G

jholland

poplar1

Quote from: jholland on January 10, 2014, 10:24:28 PM
Thanks again for all your help! making this thing work has become a mission!

Disconnecting the wire didn't help, I will try to resister idea but will need to buy one.  I will also track down a neighbor with an POT service.

I still don't understand how the voyage device could not recognize the timing correctly.  If I just dial a 1 and only a 1, it should break dial, but since I have not dialed any other numbers there would be only a single pulse and thus no timing between pulses.

thanks,
jeff

Jeff, I see your point now--since it's not breaking dial tone with 1 either. I think you've so far stumped the panel on this one.

The only other thing I would try would be to move the white receiver wire from W on the dial to BB, and listen (at a safe distance) to make sure the dial tone is constant during the entire dial operation. When the phone is working, the dial tone should stay during the entire windup and until the dial comes to rest after the first digit. Some defective dials disconnect the line during windup, but I believe your pictures indicate that this is not the case.

Keep the receiver a safe distance away from your ear while it is pulsing and the W/BB contacts are bypassed.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: jholland on January 10, 2014, 10:33:48 PM
Think something like this might work??, its not exactly cheap

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/pulse-to-tone-converter.html

jeff

Before you do that, I would ship the dial to Steve Hilsz who will clean and calibrate it for $6 plus shipping.

Phonesrfun

I have never used one, but many have.  There have been mixed reviews of some.  OPW has carried a couple different brands of these, and there is no reason for one not to work, except that you will notice that it requires time to charge and is line-power driven.  You might call OPW and talk to Mike there before buying.

Try going to the top-most level of this forum and search for rotatone or dial gizmo or pulse to tone converter and see what things have been said about them.

Frankly, with all the alternatives to POTS lines out there, I think these will be needed more and more in the future.
-Bill G

poplar1

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 10, 2014, 10:41:23 PM
I have never used one, but many have.  There have been mixed reviews of some.  OPW has carried a couple different brands of these, and there is no reason for one not to work, except that you will notice that it requires time to charge and is line-power driven.  You might call OPW and talk to Mike there before buying.

Try going to the top-most level of this forum and search for rotatone or dial gizmo or pulse to tone converter and see what things have been said about them.

Frankly, with all the alternatives to POTS lines out there, I think these will be needed more and more in the future.

Future shock? Since another Dial Pulse phone works, I would hold off on buying a converter for now and just calibrate the dial. It won't hurt to try adjusting the governor and/or sending the dial to Steve.

jholland

I will first try to test it on a POTS, if this works then I buy the adapter.  If not, its off to the cleaning....

I did search the voyage forums and while the newer units don't support pulse dialing, I have an older one that does. 

thanks
jeff

jholland

You noted that the dial tone should stay on entire the dial comes all the way back.  Mine works the opposite.  I lose dial as soon as I start to dial, the dial tone does not back until the dial returns to rest.

thanks,
jeff

p.s My wife just stopped by and says I am officially a geek!

Phonesrfun

Quote from: jholland on January 10, 2014, 10:53:32 PM
You noted that the dial tone should stay on entire the dial comes all the way back.  Mine works the opposite.  I lose dial as soon as I start to dial, the dial tone does not back until the dial returns to rest.

thanks,
jeff

Poplar1:

I think in order for our new-found geek to get the results you mentioned while moving the white wire to BB, he will also need to remove the red/slate wire from R.  The reason why is that wire is designed to shunt out the entire phone during dialing.  I just tried it on mine.   Something that is kind of unique to a 300 series phone.

Jeff:  Try doing what you just did, but also remove the red/slate from R.  You can then say you've really joined the geeks.
-Bill G

jholland

I moved both wires and no difference I could notice, I lose the dial tone as soon as I start dialing and it comes back as soon as the dial returns to home.

Have to call it quits for tonight.  Will check out a neighbor with POTS tomorrow

thanks!
jeff

poplar1

Quote from: jholland on January 10, 2014, 10:47:58 PM
I will first try to test it on a POTS, if this works then I buy the adapter.  If not, its off to the cleaning....

I did search the voyage forums and while the newer units don't support pulse dialing, I have an older one that does. 

thanks
jeff

Or, if it works on a POTS line, you could have the dial cleaned and calibrated, and skip the adapter.

poplar1

Quote from: jholland on January 10, 2014, 11:10:33 PM
I moved both wires and no difference I could notice, I lose the dial tone as soon as I start dialing and it comes back as soon as the dial returns to home.

Have to call it quits for tonight.  Will check out a neighbor with POTS tomorrow

thanks!
jeff

What I was wondering was: with both wires moved, does the dial tone go off before the dial is released, that is, while you are winding it up and while you are holding it before releasing the finger wheel? (If so, then it is disconnecting the line, which could also return a new dial tone, the same as if you hung up the phone and picked up again.)

poplar1

Quote from: jholland on January 10, 2014, 10:53:32 PM

thanks,
jeff

May be different at what point the ATA removes dial tone, compared to a central office.  (Can someone with Vonage confirm this?) But in any case, if you now have the white receiver wire on BB and the red-slate wire removed from R, then the dial tone should not go away before the dial is released, because the dial pulsing contacts should have continuity except when they are actually pulsing out a digit.

unbeldi

I suspect your Vonage ATA is a VDV23.  I find these to be very fine units.  I don't know what other adapters Vonage uses currently, but I think they started with these perhaps 3 years ago, perhaps more.

Mine outputs just over 48V,  and when taking a connected 1952 WE-302 off-hook, the voltage drops to about 5.0 to 4.5 V.

Normally I have about 4 devices on that port, an FXO port of a Cisco router, a Panasonic 308 and a 616, and usually either a WE 102 with 534 subset or a 202 Imperial with a 685A subset.

jholland

Well, I was finally able to track down a neighbor with a POTS and the phone dialed out perfectly the very first time I dialed!   I am thus guessing that it is some incapability with my Vonage device (Motorola VT2442-VD).

Do you think that sending out the dial for cleaning and tuning might do any good, or is this a lost cause.  Recall, I have an electronic pulse dial phone that works fine on the voyage device.

Also, the phone is in generally very good cosmetic shape, but could use a little polishing up.  Any good things to do or not do to polish the plastic case and the handset?

thanks,
jeff