News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE40 & AE80 @ Yard Sale

Started by Nick in Manitou, May 17, 2014, 08:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

Today our neighborhood had a yardsale day and people really turn out for this event.  The paper said that they expected 10,000 people!

My wife and I went out to see what we could find although after many years of purchasing all kinds of great stuff at auctions, shops and yard sales, we have come to the point where we are often happier to get rid of things than we are to gather more!

Anyway, when I saw a couple old black phones, I had to take a look...the fellow had them marked at $40 for the AE40 and $20 for the AE80.  I was really trying not to buy any more phones, but I had to see how cheaply he would let them go.  (I didn't own an example of either one...but I am NOT trying to own one of everything!)

I ended up paying $35 for both phones.  I don't really know what a good price is for either phone, but I really have admired the AE40s I have seen on the forum, so I figured, "why not?"

I have read through the thread about the issue of figuring out what dates AE phones were manufactured and from that I am figuring that the AE40 is from 1943 to 1957 based on the "Chicago 7" on the tag and the AE80 is from 1954 to 1957 based on the 1954 start date for the design (per Telephone Archive) and the 1957 date for manufacture of the phones in Chicago.  (If I am incorrect on this, please let me know.)

The bodies of both phones are free of cracks and major scratches.  The line cords on both phones have been cut.  The receiver and transmitter caps all came off easily and I have taken the case off the AE80.

I have not taken the case off the AE40 because the gasket is in the way of the rear screw and is too stiff to push out of the way without damaging it.  I sort of assume that I will need to destroy the gasket in order to remove the base, but I figured I'd ask first in case someone had a method of softening up the gasket enough to get the base off without damaging the gasket. - Any suggestions?   

I have attached photos of the phones in "as received" condition.  If anyone can tell me anything about what I have, that would be appreciated.  As I mentioned above, these are the first examples of these phones I have had my hands on.

Does the handset cord on the AE40 look to be correct?  What would the options for hand set and line cords on these phones when they were new?

The opening around the dial of the AE40 is a bit rough for about 180 degrees of the opening.  The last photo is a close-up of part of the area showing the roughness. Any ideas of why this might be there?

Thanks for any information you can give me!

Nick

AE_Collector

Nice way to start out your AE collection! $35 for both is in the bargain end of the range in my opinion. An early model 80 with the odd shapped feet, potted network, metal plungers, bakelite handset. They weigh a ton! The dial should remain on the mount when the cover is lifted off. 66 cycle frequency ringer won't ring but were very common in these. Probably on a 10 party line!

You should be able to turn the 40s base screws half way at a time with a small screwdriver without damaging the gasket. Gary Goff has new reproductions for $10. Not certain who did what to the bakelite around the dial.

Glad we have enough info online for you to succesfully narrow the manufacture date down somewhat. Hope to get some more info on that eventually.

Terry

rdelius

that is an earlier type 80 note the screws lock the dial dial down.Most snapped under tabs. look for an older junk set to salvage the missing plastic switch cover and dial cover

WesternElectricBen

If you need any parts for the AE 80, I have at least one of everything you'll need. (besides straight line ringers.)

Nice find,

Ben

Nick in Manitou

Thanks for the info Terry and rdelius, and for the notice of availablity of parts, Ben!

What would be a source for replacement line cords for these phones?  Both have been cut.

Does the cord on the AE40 look to be correct?

Thanks, all, for the assistance.

Nick

AE_Collector

We had lots of AE 40's with coil cords on the handset. In later years of production I think they were standard. Earlier models frequently had cloth cords though I have seen black rubber cords (straight handset cord) as well. It doesnt look out of place to me.

Terry

GTE Rick

Small in size ... Smart in Style ... and it has a lighted dial.