"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Payphone II, Getting it working.

Started by WesternElectricBen, December 22, 2013, 01:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi guys,

Last payphone thread I created was talking about hanging my other payphone which was given to me buy a very good friend. I must add, I have been using it quite a bit.

Though, I was told this wouldn't work, but the ebay seller told me it would and said they used it. I would be just fine using it with out the coin parts, if that makes it any easier to get it going.

I will post some pics of the phone, if you could direct me on how to plug a cord into it.

Thanks,
Ben

poplar1

If this is a 236G, connect Tip to R and Ring to Y.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Thank you, poplar1, it works!

It has that little bell inside, would you happen to know what it needs to hook up to, to ring?

Thanks,
Ben

poplar1

Black to Y, red to N. Upper Housing has to be plugged in since the capacitor is in the network located in the Upper Housing.

BSP is 506-322-400 Issue 2, Coin Telephone 236G, Connections

A "coin telephone" has the network and ringer inside the phone.
A "coin collector" requires a separate subset.

WesternElectricBen

Okay, I have moved the black to the correct terminal.

Though two issues, the other lead that comes from the ringer is a red-black, I'm sure it would work, if I could find a "n" terminal.

Ben

poplar1

Just use the red and black ringer wires. There should be red, black, slate-red and slate ringer leads (G1A), or just red and black (G1C). If you have 4 leads, then insulate and store the slate-red and slate, just as you do with a P-type ringer in Trimline or M-type ringer in Princess.

The N terminal should have a violet wire coming from the 9-pin connector; in the upper housing, the violet lead from the plug goes to K on the network. The orange wire from the connector goes to R; in the upper housing, the orange lead goes to A on the network.

Thus the ringer circuit is tip to R (to orange connector to plug) to A, thru capacitor to K, to (plug to connector violet to) N, from N to red ringer wire, through ringer coil to black ringer wire, to Y, and from Y to ring.

poplar1

WesternElectricBen

Alright, I found the violot not connected to the n termainal but the B, so I connected the red to that, and no ring. Though, let me try those other possibility.

Ben

poplar1

If orange wire from connector is on R that should complete the path.

WesternElectricBen

The orange is going to R, could you tell me what it is suppose to be like on the other side of the connector, ex. network side?

Thanks,
Ben

poplar1

Reply #6: "in the upper housing, the orange lead goes to A on the network."

WesternElectricBen

Sorry, I just checked that, and it is correct, but it still doesn't ring. Could any other wiring issues play into this?

Ben 

poplar1

And violet lead goes to K on the network

WesternElectricBen

We have one violet lead at k, and the other at c, should I relocate that?

Modification: The Violet at C, is a violet-red.

Ben

poplar1

Should be a blue wire  on C. Did you click on the link for the wiring diagram?