News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Grandma's Kitchen Phone

Started by HobieSport, December 31, 2009, 06:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Hmmmm, and electrified toilet seat.  Something every prankster covets.  I can't quite decide which I want most.  The toilet seat or a '48/49 500..... I'll take the toilet seat.  The 500 would only gather dust.  Tee hee.

In any event, I am staying tuned for the other installments.
-Bill G

HobieSport

Yep, a "hot seat". Actually the story I heard was that Grandpa Herman wired a toilet seat at his school. He drilled two tiny holes in strategic locations on each side if the seat, and ran tiny sewing pins down through the holes so that only the heads of the pins were exposed as the...er...ahem..."contact points".  Then from the other end of the pins under the seat he ran very thin wires to the power source, whatever that was. When a teacher went to use the toilet, she quickly ran out of the bathroom holding her dress up exposing her petticoats and screaming repeatedly "I've been struck by lightning!"

This must have pleased Grandpa rather immensely, because he was still telling this story to us kids fifty years later.  

Perhaps this somehow also related to future developments in sonar and stereo? We may never know...
-Matt

LoreneFaith

Hello Matt,
I would very much like to hear more about your fascinating Grandfather Herman? Can you share some additional stories? What other inventions did he have? It sounds like his mind never stopped working!  ::)  :o

Thank you.

Greg G.

Quote from: LoreneFaith on August 30, 2016, 05:04:12 PM
Hello Matt,
I would very much like to hear more about your fascinating Grandfather Herman? Can you share some additional stories? What other inventions did he have? It sounds like his mind never stopped working!  ::)  :o

Thank you.

Unfortunately, I don't think Matt's still hanging around here, his last post was in January 2011.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e