News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Storing & Organizing Lots of Phones

Started by HobieSport, December 28, 2009, 11:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

For what it's worth, I use 10x8x6 corrugated cardboard boxes that I buy locally at $0.39 each in quantities of 25 (or $19.50 for 50) for storage only.

Great for 500s and 302s Princess, Trimline and even 554s if laid on edge. Too small for phones with subsets.

I've found this size box is big enough for the phone with the handset wrapped separately, in a clean cotton cloth, and placed next to the phone. The box is small so it takes up less room but it's strong enough so they can be stacked 6 to 8 high without any crushing of the bottom boxes.

http://www.browncor.com/product/B14488.htm - and there is probably an equivalent source in every city.

They are rated for up to 65 pounds and have an edge crush rating of 32 pounds per inch.

I wouldn't use them for shipping (too small) but they are great for storage.

And the best part, I don't have to enter a USPS office, ever. A duty when I absolutely must I find highly disturbing. No exceptions, ever. Grumpy, if not hostile, counter people all of the time. And too few of them, every time

I do keep the USPS boxes that are shipped to me but use them only when I have to, usually for wire and parts storage. I can get away with this because I am not an eBay seller, yet.

Greg G.

The boxes I have been using were HMR entrees that I used to buy by the case locally, and also retrieved some boxes out of their recycle bin.  I no longer eat those and the place that sold them shut down.  They would hold two 500-type phones wrapped in bubble wrap if I placed them on their side.

Based on input here, I tried a couple of recycled large flat rate USPS boxes as I was boxing some up.  They work much better because I can place two phones side-by-side flat.  Anita had some old pillow cases she was going to take to Goodwill, so I fetched a couple and found that they have enough material to put the phone inside and wrap the excess around the handset.

I don't go to the extent of documenting all the parts, I'm not that concerned about it, but I make a note or two on the box itself if need be, e.g. my Beehive phone is labeled "Busted Beehive".
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

When I worked installing Payphones I kept lots of the heavy duty double wall cardboard boxes that they came in. They are extra strong and have good handles cut into each end. They hold quite a number of phones so they mainly have my duplicates in them sorted by type.

Terry

Mr. Bones

Good Afternoon!

I have followed this thread with great interest, since we all have this issue to contend with, at some level.

I wanted to replicate Dan / Panther's Phone Collection Log Sheet, not just for myself, but for anybody on the CRPF that is interested in a higher level of organizing.

Dan / Panther's kindly given me his permission, and assistance in the form of a .jpg, so here is the prototype for your consideration. I saved it in Rich Text File, which is a fairly universal format, opened readily by most word processors.

If anybody can't open it as a .rtf, please let me know. I have also saved it in MS Office / Word (.doc), and .pdf. formats as well. Just didn't want to post them until you all had a look at it, and any needed revision was done.

Constructive feedback is welcomed.

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

AE_Collector

Hey, another list (and form) guy on the forum! I never work on my phones cause I'm too busy working on lists! Looks good.

The blank line disappeared between Xmitter cap date and Xmitter date. The fourth rcvr cap item is probably supposed to be just receiver (capsule) date not Rcvr Cap Date. Just fine tuning stuff.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: HobieSport on December 29, 2009, 11:21:05 AM
Quote from: AtomicEraTom
Effective, but no fun! You can't sit on your couch and look at them then!!

Not at all, Tom ol' pal. There is a seven foot shelf above the window above my desk right at the front of the trailer where I can display some of my favorite phones that can be viewed quite well.

Ya gotta remember that I'm livin' in a trailer with 60 resident phones. Right now for example, before my boxes arrive, I have 20 lineal feet of shelving in my upper kitchen cabinets, which is really valuable storage space for my small scale living abode, and all those shelves are currently full of 1950s WE 500s, set tightly side by side. When they are in boxes, they can be neatly stacked in my back utility room and take up much less valuable space. 8)

I'm sure you could pick up a old second trailer cheep. Then it would be a retro place to put your retro phones.
Ben

Mr. Bones

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 06, 2013, 02:49:51 PM
Hey, another list (and form) guy on the forum! I never work on my phones cause I'm too busy working on lists! Looks good.

The blank line disappeared between Xmitter cap date and Xmitter date. The fourth rcvr cap item is probably supposed to be just receiver (capsule) date not Rcvr Cap Date. Just fine tuning stuff.

Terry

Terry,

Thanks for both the kind words of encouragement, and assisting with a pair of additional eyes. I must have fat-fingered something between V.1.00.00, and .01.

Despite being able to type at 50-60 wpm, the H&P of creating a document, or editing graphics sometimes seems to slay my accuracy. ;)

Based upon your observations, the revised version has been posted, prior to this response. As D/P told me, I just wanted this to help others, so please keep the input coming, and I'll keep the fine-tuning going on.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

AE_Collector

Form designing is always fun (PITA!) Now on my computer opening it with MSWord the  "Dial Number/Color Code" has rolled to the next line and near the bottom where obtained has developed a space rolling it over a line!

Another Rum & Coke and it should be good! Keep up the good work.

Terry

Mr. Bones

Terry,

Thanks, once again!

Fascinating. Maybe if I had a Rum and Coke, it would help! ::). Let me take a look, and see what I can do. I'm using Open Office 3.xx, so it might be a formatting difference there between the two.

Hope all is as warm as possible there in BC. 37F here, and sunny;rare for this time of year.

Best regards!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Terry,

Here's what my WP shows, via screen capture:

What version of MS Word do you have? It might be a difference between the two, best guess.

Now, where did I put that Rum? ???
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Terry,

Here's the other end of the document: Like you said...PITA...

The only thing that might be more fun than that, is cross-platform form design! ;)

Keep up the good work, and thanks for your help.

Terrence

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

AE_Collector

I am using Word 2010 but who knows what goes on inside the computer. Click on the P of Price and do a backspace. There is something there throwing a space like a tab in that spot. Do the same at the "D" in "Dial #/Color Code" but it is probably just a single space too wide there.

Terry

Mr. Bones

Terry,

Thanks for the help. I did as you advised, here is the updated version: (.03). Let me know how that works for you.

I appreciate your being my field tester. My guess is that it is simply a difference between the default margin / tab settings... I haven't changed mine since installation, and perhaps you either. Somebody decided where they should be. Two different somebodies, perhaps. ;)

Best regards!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

AE_Collector

Perfect, that fixed everything up. Who knows if it will work properly for other people but it looks good here using MS Word 2010.

I cut and pasted it in below and surprisingly it looks the same here on the forum other than the bottom few blank writing spaces
where the lines go crazy in length but that is typical as well. I think # of holes in cap and plunger Material are supposed to be two
seperate lines aren't they?

Terry

Phone Collection Log

Make of telephone_______________________________ Box #__________.
Model number._______________. Type: Desk, wall?___________________.
Base date.____________________. Network date_____________________.
Dial date.___________________.  Dial Number/Color Code____________.
Finger wheel material._______________. Center style_________________.
Feet style_________ Riveted______ Screwed______ Material___________.
Case color___________.Case date___________. Case material___________.
Ringer type._____________________. Ringer date____________________.
Dial gasket, Yes_______. No_______. Color_________________________.
Handset model__________________. Handset color___________________.
Handset material_____________________.
Xmitter cap date.________________. Xmitter cap color________________.
Xmitter cap material_________________ Xmitter date_________________.
Receiver cap date_______________. Receiver cap color________________.
Receiver cap material.________________ Receiver date________________.
# holes in receiver cap___________.
Plunger material________________.
Hand cord type______________________.Length_____________________.
Color______________. Date______________. Condition_______________.
Line cord type_______________________. Length____________________.
Color_______________. Date_____________. Condition_______________.
Overall Condition_______________________________________________.
Where obtained__________________________________. Price_________.
Special notes __________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 06, 2013, 07:12:49 PM
Perfect, that fixed everything up. Who knows if it will work properly for other people but it looks good here using MS Word 2010.

I cut and pasted it in below and surprisingly it looks the same here on the forum other than the bottom few blank writing spaces
where the lines go crazy in length but that is typical as well. I think # of holes in cap and plunger Material are supposed to be two
seperate lines aren't they?

Terry

Terry,

Yes the two aforementioned fields are on separate lines, originally. I'm not sure why the lines after 'Special Notes' are going wonky..., could be that the default margin settings are yet again different for the Forum, but as long as it gives us a starting point here, I'm pleased.

There are some ideas / additional fields that I feel could be useful, and I will toss those out for consideration.

Once again, I want to thank Dan / Panther for not only the original idea, but his permission and cooperation on this project.

Best regards!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus